Bandwidth?

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
To share say 10 people, how much bandwidth does it take. Was wondering could you do it with a USB 3 Dongle or would it exceed the monthly limit which is 1gig?

Cheers

Dar

the signal a usb dongle gets wouldnt be sufficent mate i dont think, the allowance would maybe be enough, but my personal opinion from using and reading about dongles that there signal just wouldnt be good enough which would lead to picture breakup and glitching for whoever is sharing, try it with just your box on see how it goes!

Has anyone got a rough idea of the bandwidth in m/bytes sharing just 1?

Cheers

I think it depends on the game, some games require a lot of throughput and some require little.

When you say bandwidth do you actually mean allowance?
Bandwidth actually means data throughput speed in mb/s not amount of data downloaded.

The speed of those USB dongle are quite slow, on a perfect 100% signal connection on Orange you should get 7.2mb/s downstream and 2mb/s upstream, but even if you sit next to a signal tower I don't think you would get that.

As for allowance I would say T-Mobile is a better bet as they don't seem to bother too much if you go over it.

I remember reading on the BBC News site that Vodafone, Orange, O2 and 3 all charge between £90 and £145 per gb used over the allowance, and they were the only ones to enforce it.

Found this little snippit.

Most people don't know what a megabyte of data is, which doesn't help. So, as a rough guide, watching a two-hour movie uses approximately 800 MB, according to website broadband.org – therefore costing £4,000 with Virgin.

According to the bandwidth calculator on the site below, 5 hours of online gaming per week would be 1.9gb of data used in a month. If you had 2 people playing then you would double it, and so on. This would not take into account anything else you would be doing, like checking emails or browsing.

http://www.broadband.org/usage_calculator.html

Last edited:
To share say 10 people, how much bandwidth does it take. Was wondering could you do it with a USB 3 Dongle or would it exceed the monthly limit which is 1gig?

Cheers

Dar

The bandwith used for sharing is miniscule ,however 1Gb monthly cap is very little allowance.
The main problem with a 3G dongle isnt bandwith ,its ping .
The ping can be huge and result in unwatchable tv.

Back