Bandwidth question.....?...

TheDogsNutts

Member +
Reaction score
my lad is using his PS3 more and more on line,
my question is how can you tell how much bandwidth he is using.......

for example:

say i have a 10GB allowance each month, if he was on it ever day for 8 hours would it use it up..?...

i got this info out of my router can anyone explain..?...

System Up Time 08:41:06
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoE 5024624 6929723 0 7670 48552 08:38:32
LAN 10M/100M 6777412 4755045 0 50891 9991 08:41:02
WLAN 11M/54M 156677 274380 0 1429 1267 08:40:57

It would be unlikely that he will eat up your 10Gb allowance playing games - but downloading media will.

The info you got from your router is just really telling you what has been happening. It is telling you how long your networks have been up for individually and how much data has been transmitted.

WAN PPoE is your Internet connection, the PPoE stands for Point to Point over Ethernet. LAN is your wired network and WLAN is your wireless network.

he has got a headset to, will that eat much up..?....

say for instance how much would he eat up in a 8 hour period..?.... 500meg?

#

Call Of Duty 4, 6-man multiplayer with a 15 minute time-limit used 23M of data the first time, and 24M of data the second time (the only difference was the map we used).

#

Grand Theft Auto 4, 12-man multiplayer with a 20 minute time limit used 40M of data each time.

this was posted on another forum ? not sure if it helps

Thats unusual to say the least...

I am intrigued to understand what is being transmitted then? I mean, all parties will have the same maps, and the voice comms dont really use that much bandwidth up, so cannot be that large data wise..

to get accurate info you will need to look at the logs in you router if you can get to them....as i assume there isn't an app in the ps3 that tells you what the network traffic is, most pc network traffic apps are for that pc, i am sure there are network analysers that would be able to setup to give that info from a specific ip addy.

if you have a off the shelf wired/wireless router it probably doesn't hold any historical data.

Thats unusual to say the least...

I am intrigued to understand what is being transmitted then? I mean, all parties will have the same maps, and the voice comms dont really use that much bandwidth up, so cannot be that large data wise..

The transmition/reception of sound can rapidly generate quite a bit of data if its uncompressed. You can easily use 20-32kbits/sec.

You tend to find that most iterations of voice chat in games employ high compression, so as not to harm the gameplay itself.

You tend to find that most iterations of voice chat in games employ high compression, so as not to harm the gameplay itself.

That partly depends on the hardware support you've got. Compression takes effort and if you're already pushing things then you may simply not have the cpu cycles to achieve anything more than rudimentary packetisation.

The PS3 is as, if not more powerful than a regular desktop Pc, which handles it quite well.

I would be more interested to understand how multiplay sessions are maintained over the PSN, it seems like a very large amount of data for an online game..

it will work fine with a router. if you cannot find it, google ethereal instead - thats what it used to be called.

There should be an option to start a scan, just click that.

But, you only want to do that when the PS3 is being used online. This will help you see what is going on over the network.

Back