azbox

will the azbox work on vm?

cheers andy

I don't think there is a cable tuner out for it yet m8, only sat side so far. Sorry stand corrected, there are cable tuners out.

any more views on this? i am on virgin too with a dreambox 800hd, need a new box for another tv, considering the azbox. Opinions would be welcome :)

I don't think there is a cable tuner out for it yet m8, only sat side so far. Sorry stand corrected, there are cable tuners out.

yep one out for it guys as to it working ok i don't know

***** has one on their shop

AZBox HD DVB-C Tuner

I read on another forum that it should work using mgcam. Not sure the exact way to set it up if it would be similar do dbox/dreambox and autoupdates.

I wonder if that didn't work if you could use a mosc/funcard? Would be good to know because i'm tempted to buy one with a sat and a cable tuner from my redundancy money. Gonna be at home a lot now so may as well spend my time watching tv lol

I read on another forum that it should work using mgcam. Not sure the exact way to set it up if it would be similar do dbox/dreambox and autoupdates.

I wonder if that didn't work if you could use a mosc/funcard? Would be good to know because i'm tempted to buy one with a sat and a cable tuner from my redundancy money. Gonna be at home a lot now so may as well spend my time watching tv lol

Let me no how you get on mate am looking for a one stop shop for HD cable and Sat

I've taken the plunge and ordered my Azbox today. Ordered the premium which comes with a satellite tuner along with a free dvb-t tuner (handy for freeview and the new irish dtt service) and also ordered an additional cable tuner. Should be here tomorrow/fri and then time to start playing with my new toy.

Got some buyers remorse as came to just under £400 overall but if it works well and does its job then i'll be selling my EX7000HD which will help soften the blow :)

Got the box this morning but only getting to play about with it now. Sat side of things easy enough but setting up the cable side of things a bit more awkward because theres not much info out there on the web so going into it blind.

So far it looked like I was going to have to manually scan each frequency being used for the channels but I tried to scan just one frequency and find the NIT. This means that the box can get each frequency used from the NIT and tune them all in automatically. Phew!!! Didnt fancy spending my fri night manually tuning in these channels.

Once tuned in I will start to play about with mgcamd so watch this space :)

Sorted!!! :D got there eventually but need to keep an eye on it in the mean time to make sure the autoroll works when the keys change

Using openxcas plugin and also redbulls mgcamd plugin (this is the one that has autoroll etc so dont use standard mgcamd)

Once installed I manually entered the up to date keys, rebooted the box and hey presto :D

Will try to do up a how-to guide seeing as there is very little cable stuff out there for the azbox.

Only gripe I have is that the box is a bit sluggish but i think thats because ive slightly older firmware on it. Apart from that i'm chuffed its working and time to play about with it some more :D

****Mods - is it ok to put a how to up seeing as it goes into detail about unlocking channels? Dont want to post and then get into trouble****

Last edited:
Top man, would like to see a tut on how to do the cable side!

Last edited:
Just ordered a C tuner for my AZbox, trying to get a one box solution and do away with popcorn hour too.

Keeping my eyes on this ... its all fun .. bit of a task !

Been using this with MgCamd for a while now without any probs. Heres a how to:-

Theres not much info on the web explaining how to set up the Azbox HD for cable (mostly its all about satellite) so I had to play about in order to figure out how to set the Azbox up for cable in the UK. I've put together a quick 'How To' explaining how to set up mgcamd.

Lets start by assuming that you have your Azbox setup (i.e. you have a working net connection and your DVB-C card installed and channels tuned in)

*Setting up OpenXCS - next we need to install the OpenXCS plugin. There is a lot of info on here and other forums about setting up plugin servers so i wont go in to too much detail. Once you have your servers set up then go to the plugins menu-->press red to add plugin-->select a server-->select OpenXCS

*Installing mgcamd - theres 2 ways to install mgcamd 1) by using your remote by downloading from a server or 2) manually ftp to /EMU/OpenXCAS/mgcamd or /PLUGIN/OpenXCAS/mgcamd. If you want Autoroll when theres a keychange then we need to install an edited version of mcgamd with autoroll. You can find this on the net if you look hard enough (its called Redbulls mgcamd, if you cant find it then a standard mcgcamd will work but you will have to manually change keys when they roll). Once installed you need CHMOD all the files in /EMU/OpenXCAS/mgcamd or /PLUGIN/OpenXCAS/mgcamd to 755

*Setting up mgcamd - finally we need to set up the mgcamd file. It may be best to manually enter the keys first of all. This is done in the 'softcam.key file that you have just copied over. Open the file, scroll down until you find the section called 'Nagra' and there you will find ex CW and N*L. You need to change the NetID as it is incorrect (there is no T*lepest there so you will need to amend one of the existing lines). Enter in the most up to date keys and save-->to to the plugins menu-->select OpenXCS-->select activation & priority setting-->highlight mgcamd and press ok to start(there shold be NO # symbol prefix)-->restart the azbox and all being well you should now have access to the channels :)

**There's some info in here e.g. setting up servers, that if you dont know what that means may involve some goggling - I would've explained here but far too much extra info)**

MODS - Might be worth making a sticky

Many thanx got mine all tuned in, but ran out of time to complete the final step, many thanx again.

Hi sorry to but in... im thinking of getting a box. Im more intrested in the cable side of things. Can I ask has anyone tried 2 cable tuners in, and how do you scan for channels just I had read the the manual and cant seam to get my head around it and its not mentioned in the manual.

Thanks

its not possible to use two C- tuners, slot 2 is the only one that will work with t and C tuners

Thanks for the quick reply. So guys are they a great box and worth the money.
Thanks

Last edited:
Its still in the development stage, but as a sat box I like it, but the LAN and USB speed is slow at the moment so no good for HD over these mediums, but i am happy so far.

Anyone clarify what software is required for cable?

Does 0.9.3686 work on tuner b DVB-C?

thanks

The latest MultiCAS v160D-D08_2k91101 has working support now for Cable. You can manually enter the keys (after manually editing one of the existing providers to a uk one eg 5401). This means if you are running card sharing or using a card to view sat channels then MultiCAS will let you run both sat and cable channels together without having to change EMUs each time. better integration and quick channel change between sat and cable.

If anyone wants me to I can do up a tut for that too

Back