astra 1.4 16v ecotec engine 2000 reg

working for a vauxhall garage,hum,,,sounds very much like the head gasket m8,too many short journeys can cause the oil cap to cream up,water mixing with oil will do the same (head gasket),i know the vauxhall dealers will be expensive but get them to do a pressure test,taking it to a garage you don't know can rip you off,try the suggestions all ready mentioned,,,good luck

yea im still looking for someone to pressure test the engine for me, as for the head gasket im going to try and claim it off the warrenty, wait a week or two then put a claim in see if i can get it repaired through them, as for garages i no a lot that will try ripping off but know of a few good garages that do the work properly and dont rip people off

why are you going to wait a while, would it not be better to claim as soon as possible.

just got the warrenty off them today and they could not back dated to when the car was brought, it sates in the policy that if it occurs as soon as the policy is taken out then it becomes voide so gonna have to wait a week or two

just make sure you keep that water topped up until you claim on your warranty.you dont want the cylinder head cracking m8

yea im checking an making sure the water is fine before i set off any where, i dont want the car to overheat and crack the cylinder head then that aint covered by the warrenty

If the car has just been bought and dealer supplied warrenty then it should be covered. If the dealer is anygood I find it hard to believe he would have shipped it without checking coolent level so it looks like it is a recent issue.

i brought it two weeks ago and i checked the coolent levels and the oil conditon myself and it were all fine, i didnt get the warrenty then i went back to the dealers today and they gave me warrenty for the car, but as this starts today i have to wait a bit before claiming on it, i think this has been a recent issue

is it worth draining the oil and replacing it so that all the excess water that has got into the engine can be emptied, or can i leave it like this till i claim

take it back right now and ask them to do a compression test as you belive the headgasket is on the way out

To be honest you should have took someone with you who was abile to idenfy this sort of stuff before buying it! and now you have a headake of a car.

If it was me i'd be asking them for a refund.

what are my rights in returning the car, when i went to the dealers yesterday they were blaiming me for the problem and saying that the car was fine when you took it so its not our faults, thats when they offered me a warrenty

Speak to local trading standard or CAB, head gaskets don't fail to user abuse in a few days.

as above

i belive 14 days after you amke the sale you can get a refund if you are not happy.

After this a fault witch was not mentioned at the time of sale may be used to get a refund or it replaired

I'd opt for the refund as i think touble cars will allways be trouble cars.

and you have a 3 month warrent after the sale i belive.

Phone CAB see what they say.

as above

i belive 14 days after you amke the sale you can get a refund if you are not happy.

After this a fault witch was not mentioned at the time of sale may be used to get a refund or it replaired

I'd opt for the refund as i think touble cars will allways be trouble cars.

and you have a 3 month warrent after the sale i belive.

Phone CAB see what they say.

you are spot on with that joe it is 3 months.The longer this car is left the more it will get damaged, my advice is to get to the citizens advice and state your case. Then go back to the garage and ask for a REFUND AS YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE CAR. If they give you trouble tell them you are going to trading standards.

hi i have just been to the garage to demand my money back and take the car, the garage are not accepting liabilty for it and are refusing to refund me, what can be done next is it to take it to trading standards

tell them if you dont get your money back you are going to report them to the trading standards you have not had the car long and its faulty they have to repair it or a refund is given. its the law.

yes i told them this and they go well take it to trading standards then, even though i told them that they do not have a leg to stand on due to how long ive had the car and the fact that the law states i have rights to return a faulty item

just a quick update on the car, it is now officially dead will not even start up or turn over :swearing:

if you can remove spark plugs then crank over engine water shooting out of cylinder its gone,also causing hydraulic lock causing engine to lock.
starting up from cold engine usually runs on 3 cyls untill clear.

Back