ARGH-- help please

dabs

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all
ok heres the problem, my system has been infected with the vsx/look2me virus ie- web pages change monamose etc
have tried the following
search and destroy- no joy reapears after restart
ad adware - no joy as above
norton spywear fix fxspl2me - no joy
ewdio - no joy
spyware blaster - no joy
vx2cleaner - n0 joy
after google search it seems this is a right little bastard to get rid of, has anyone any program or recomendation on how to get rid of it? am running on windows xp
thanks for any help
and sorry to be a pain but am not that great on comps so in idiot speak would be great

it detects my instalation
but gives me 'caution installing multiple operating systems on a single partion is not recomended

then 2 options
to continue set up on this partition, press c
to select a differant partition, press esc
now confussed again lol

found this Dabs this is what "should happen"

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/rep... XP by Installing Over top of Existing Setup:

Is Your XP installation Disk retail or did you get it with your PC, if so chances are that it's an OEM disk and Ive heard some supplied by Compact or HP dont a have the restore option build in, Anyone, correct me if Im wrong please.

I take it you havent seen an option to go to recovery console either?

If you aint seeing the screens as in link above and your cd is OEM I would do a clean install, Mate

It sounds scary but you select the "Continue Setup On This Partition"

It should then ask you if you want to install using existing file system or use a new folder. Summat like that anyway.

Go with the use existing
This will keep most your existing setup intact but will re-write missing and corupt bits.

Oh yeah and it take about 20 mintutes longer.

I hope I got this right it was about a month ago I re-installed and my memory aint what it used to be.

ok will run through things as they happen
boot from xp disc
runs through some checks then comes up with
this portion of the setup program prepares microsoft windows xp to run on your computer.
to set up windows xp now, press enter
to repair a windows xp installation using recovery console, press r
to quit setup without installing windows xp, press f3

if enter pressed user agreement comes up
press f8
then comes up with the three options stated in my previous message above

keifels the link in shauns post states ***CAUTION*** if you do not see the option to repair the selected Windows XP installation DO NOT choose the option to continue installing a fresh copy without repairing as that will overwrite your data and cause unrecoverable data loss.
bit worried on that one

repairing xp will do feck all if your still infected, grab yourself a copy of kaspersky antivirus and it will kick its ass
it will also make sure if you download any more dodgy files they wont get the chance to run

Back up what you can before doing anything else.

where you say it says to repair windows using the recovery console type R.
Ok. go into the Recovery Console It will load and should say what windows you want to repair.

something like

1: C:\windows

Type 1 if thats yours.

asks for admin password enter it if you have one if not hit enter

Type bootcfg

This should fix any boot.ini errors causing setup not to see your XP installation
Then Try from the start again, If this dont work I'd do a Clean Install

tried that still no luck, looks like a clean install for me will sort out back up of data first
cheers guys for all your help :Clap:

Back