Are you able to softmod without 007 - splinter cell or mech assault?

zorgan

Inactive User
Reaction score
Are you able to softmod without 007 - splinter cell or mech assault?

I do not have these games, was hoping to mod my xbox tonight, i bought a usb pen drive, game controller to female usb cable, i also have a bigger hard drive for the xbox?

are there ways of doing this without having one of the 3 exploited games, as i only have SC- Pandora Tommorow and rainbow six 3

you have to have an exploit for one of the games mate. It wont work on anything else,
I picked up splintercell for a quid or 2 at gamestation. It works with the 'classic' relase too (thats what I have)

Only those few games will work mate, Microsoft took no time in demanding all programmers close the door in all future programes, they even made the publisher rework and re-release the existing titles.

okay guys thanks alot for your replies, i really appreachiate this, i was hours last night messing around, got to the hotswapping part then decided not to go ahead with it, seemed a little risky de-attaching the IDE while your PC powers the Molex connector, so if i get it correct, the Hard Drive LOCKS when you power down the xbox, i take it the EEPROM has to match the unlock code of a drive for it to beable to work.......?

I`m looking to install a new drive so i take it I DO need that eeprom still also?

i`ll call a couple of local places and see if i can get my hands on one of those three games which have the exploits, i`ll need to find out what i need to do once i get one of those games.

I have a few different sized hard drives IDE 10GB to around 80GB and a 60GB

I have a GAMEPORT to Female USB cable from ebay i bought

I also have the xbox CRYSTAL style see through box

I have a cruizer 2GB Usb pen drive

so once i get the game thats all i need equipment wise yea?

I also got a Torq 20 Screwdriver :)

okay guys thanks alot for your replies, i really appreachiate this, i was hours last night messing around, got to the hotswapping part then decided not to go ahead with it, seemed a little risky de-attaching the IDE while your PC powers the Molex connector, so if i get it correct, the Hard Drive LOCKS when you power down the xbox, i take it the EEPROM has to match the unlock code of a drive for it to beable to work.......?

I`m looking to install a new drive so i take it I DO need that eeprom still also?

i`ll call a couple of local places and see if i can get my hands on one of those three games which have the exploits, i`ll need to find out what i need to do once i get one of those games.

I have a few different sized hard drives IDE 10GB to around 80GB and a 60GB

I have a GAMEPORT to Female USB cable from ebay i bought

I also have the xbox CRYSTAL style see through box

I have a cruizer 2GB Usb pen drive

so once i get the game thats all i need equipment wise yea?

I also got a Torq 20 Screwdriver :)

If you are desperate, you can rent splinter cell from blockbusters or other rental place. Also I am not sure your 2GB USB pen drive will be supported, it might be too big.

As for disk upgrade, once you have softmodded you orginal disk you can do the following.

From SID 5 manual,

Hard Drive Upgrade using a PC
Hardware Needed:
- A PC, a blank CD-R/W and a CD Burner
- Torx 10 + Torx 20 Screwdrivers (to open your Xbox)
- A Large HDD Software Needed: - XboxHDM 1.9
- FTP Program (FlashFXP)
- EvoX dash (can be installed as an app)
- DVD Decrypter
Steps:
1. First make a backup from your retail disk (C, E drive and your eeprom), you can use EvoX to backup eeprom (eeprom backup can be found on E).
2. FTP your backup data to your PC using a FTP program.
3. Unpack XboxHDM onto your pc
4. Put the eeprom backup in the xboxhdm\linux\eeprom folder, put C and E folder into the xboxhdm\linux folder and overwrite the ones already there.
5. In the root of xboxhdm is a file named 'make-iso-win', run this file and wait for it to finish.
6. It will make an .iso file. (You can burn this file with DVD Decrypter)
7. Take out all your hard disks in your PC and put the new hard disk (for the Xbox), make sure its primary master and first boot is CD-ROM.
8. Put the disk you made in the CD-ROM drive and boot your PC.
9. You will get a menu, now choose Option 1 (by typing “1”) and press enter to boot VGA console with Xbox-drive utilities (default). Type “xboxhd” when it asks you for a login. Another list of options will show up, choose option 1 again (the one that says “Build a new Xbox HD from scratch”) and it will begin to format and write the partition table etc. If you put your C:\ and E:\ onto the CD then when it asks you about them type yes and when it asks you if you would like an F select yes.
10. Reboot your PC (we are almost done)
11. Now for locking the hard drive. This time type “3” and hit enter to boot Linux with locking/unlocking utilities. Next, type in “lockhd –a”. It will now search for the eeprom on the CD and will automatically lock the hard drive. Now turn off the PC and take out the hard drive when it has finished locking. Put the disk in your softmodded Xbox.
You just upgraded your hard drive and can be used in your softmodded Xbox.

The first thing you need to do before anything else is copy the eeprom to your PC. If anything goes wrong this means you can always getting a working drive for your Xbox

As soon as I launch the softmod exploit I select the backup option and backup the Eeprom. I then move it to E:\Backup (that's one of the options)

I then use a crossover cable and copy the Eeprom and Key.txt etc to my PC using FTP.

At that point if the softmod gives you an error or anything else unexpected happens you know that you can always make a working drive based on that Eeprom

I would recommend using the 80gb hd. You can fill it with all sorts of media. The softmod HD upgrade is dead easy. I've done quite a few of them now. Let me know if you need any help

got my splintercell for 99p :)

Same here, off eBay and the guy worked 5 minutes for where I do so I picked it up in my lunch time. I even gave him 2 quid and told him to keep the change.

Finally got a copy of splinter cell, tried to put stuff onto the usb drive i can format it ok, when i copy the saved file which you are supposed to use however over to the pen drive i seem to run into issues lol maybe this usb drive (2gb) sandisk cruzier is not compatible. :(

How are u copying the save over?

You would first need to format usb in the xbox, but then when u put it in a pc the pc will want to format it making it an incorrect format so xbox wants to format and so on!

This can be the trickiest part of the procedure getting the save to the USB!

Yea once formatted I have the action replay software but i have also installed the special driver to read the xbox formatted usb key but it does not come up on the action replay software, its as thou the action replay software does not detect it.

What u have to remember is the AR usb wasn't a 2gb, U really need and older 32mb or 64mb usb they were the compatable ones, I do have some 128mb one's that are compatable with the MaxDrive software but needed to edit an ini file to get it to be seen.

These are a bit old but:
View attachment 37887
View attachment 37888
View attachment 37889

Last edited:
yes thanks alot i have these and a whole bunch of xbox software here, i will ask around a few of my mates and see if anyone has an old usb drive i can borrow and try it with that, i`ll let you know how i get on in the next couple of weeks thanks again for your support.

all i really want to do is watch tv epsisodes and movies in my bedroom through the xbox from my pc :)

I have a dbox already but thats just a nightmare recently trying to mount a drive then playing it though vlc already tried 2 guides doing it with just the dbox freezing when i try to browse the folder.......

Back