are these systems any good?????????

dabs

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi looking at renewing are these any good, for value/performance ooking for something to edit video and play games have xp pro to install are they all compatable?
thanks

did u forget the links ?

These ones? https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/189961/#post1395105

I did see the post but forgot to go back to it, and once its read its no longer lsited in UserCP. The Intel systems are running on board graphics. The AMD could be running any 1GB Radeon.

If you really don't want to build one yourself I'd be more tempted to push you towards a Dell.

If you're willing to go down the self build route let us know and will put a similar/better spec together for the same price, if not cheaper...

Last edited by a moderator:
yes those are the ones
not that confident to build one, are dell ok remember reading something about them being a pain to upgrade hardware on? have a dell shop near me will try and get some specs and post them on here

Dell's motherboards and cases are proprietary but they take standard parts like DDR2, PCI-e etc.

To buy Dell you've 3 options; their website, their order line or recently 3rd party shops like Tesco, and their websites, have started selling them.

ok thanks for that, not knowing what parts are good/ok/poor what the best to look for in motherboard processor memory hard drive, am loking to edit video and kids want on line games
cheers

The thing is the machines on general sale are good all-rounders that will do for a bit of video/photo editing, the graphics in games will be 'OK'. Memory in all respects is cheap with 1TB drives available for less than £70 and 1Gb of DDR2 is around the £15 mark.

Most people who've built for them selves have an opinion about motherboards, as such its usually a personal choice. For example given the choice I'd go for Asus, then DFI, then MSI... But when you buy a pre-built system, you don't normally have a choice.

Gaming depends on the games. WoW, Guild Wars, EVA and other MMORPGs don't need much in the way of modern graphics processing power, but do benefit from a decent graphics card. CoD4, GRID etc demand at least an nVidia 8800 or ATI 3**0

Video editing and encoding benefits from multiple cores much more than most other programs. If this is the main use I'd recommend Intel's Q6600 or one of AMD's X4 Phenoms.

Hard disks; stick to Samsung, Western Digital or Seagate.

Memory; Apart from recommending heat sunk RAM, just buy the right one for your system. Note that the different types are not interchangeable, i.e. DDR will not fit in a DDR2 motherboard.

Despite my Dell comment the Medion deal at Tesco is a hard deal to beat for a pre-built Q6600, 1Tb, blu-ray, 3Gb RAM system: Medion Q6600 3GB PC Base Unit with Blu-Ray - Tesco.Direct

Back