Are HTC allowed to do this?

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
HTC Desire HD

I sent my phone back for warranty repairs. The problem I had was with the touch screen and GPS.

Last time I sent the phone in, they decided to change my housing so it came back scratch free. I was very happy about this.

This time, the camera lens cover had a slight crack in it, so I thought they may do it again, or at least nor consider it a warranty repair and fic the rest.

They've now sent me a quote for about £70 just to sort the camera lens cover. It's taking the piss in my opinion as I can get a genuine HTC Desire HD back cover (which the camera lens cover is situated in) for under a tenner off ebay.

I can either pay the £70 and then they will fix the rest or I can pay about £20 and have the phone returned. Both costs are unjustified.

Where do I stand in this matter?

Sounds like they've decided it isn't a fault with the device (not covered by the warranty) but user damage or general wear and tear - so it's a chargable job. It's often part of the terms that "if it's found not to be a manufacturing fault with the device you will be liable for repair costs including inspection"

Worth a call to ask why they think it's not covered - but if they're saying it's misuse thats caused the damage, you're stuck.

My issue is with the ridiculously high price for just changing the back cover (where the lens cover is located)

You will always pay a premium getting the original Manufacturer to repair it, they will argue it's with original parts and a qualified trained engineer - rather than the local phone market stall.

My issue is with the ridiculously high price for just changing the back cover (where the lens cover is located)

That is the price for using original parts and 'qualified' engineer. Just pay the £20 and fix it yourself.

That is the price for using original parts and 'qualified' engineer. Just pay the £20 and fix it yourself.

Thanks for the replies guys. Will they know that ive sorted the problem if i send it tp them in the future even though the void sticker hasnt been removed?

Do they keep stuff like this on file so that they check for it the next time I send my phone in?

Thanks for the replies guys. Will they know that ive sorted the problem if i send it tp them in the future even though the void sticker hasnt been removed?

Do they keep stuff like this on file so that they check for it the next time I send my phone in?

Most proberbly as when then scan the phones serial number it will pop up with history of the phone

ring them and get it esculated. What did you send it in for btw?

I just got my desire hd repaired, it was completely dead, i managed to get it going again but there was problems with the volume, wifi and bluetooth board.
When i signed on to chat they told me that the volume button was wear and tear !!!! so i rang a few weeks later.

This time i spoke to a very helpful bloke and told him the issues with the wifi and bluetooth first, then said about the volume button - he said that it was a common fault and would be fixed as the wifi and bluetooth were manufactoring faults.
My phone was gone for 4 days (2 days of which were over the weekend) and came back like a brand new phone, the minor scratches i had are now gone.
if the problem with the phone is nothing to do with the camera then you should get it esculated and if you dont get any joy contact cab.
On the htc one x forums they are playing the same trick with people that have hardware issues and have unlocked the devices, for some strange reason htc decides to change mainboards when there is screen problems with the phones.
I can see watchdog doing another segment on the company if they carry on in this manor.

Back