are avi files same as divx files please

bingcro2

Member ++
Reaction score
ive been trying to convert downloads from youtube to divx forumla I can convert to avi but have been told divx and avi are the same . is this so pse

there are many types of codec a video file can be encoded in and still show as avi. as long as you are selecting the divx xvid option when converting you will be left with a divx avi file. if ever you are having bother use gspot to check on what is inside the avi container.

i use winavi to convert video. its quick and easy to use. im not sure how well it does hd stuff though.

Just use freemake video converter from Freemake | Best Freeware Alternatives To Paid Video Software it's free and will download and save youtube videos in lots of formats.

An AVI file is like an empty bucket that can be filled with various liquids. That is to say that an AVI files can be DIVX, XVID, MP4 or RAW DV format (the latter is usually massive) there are also several version of DIVX and some players will only play certain versions.

As mentioned, AVI is just a container for the file. The encoding of the file is dependant on the codec used, (DIVX, XVID, mp4, etc). As long as the playback device has the correct codec then you will be fine.

Just to confuse matters, there are many different DIVX and XVID codecs, so some players work and some don't. BTW DIVX is not actually free to use in theory whereas XVID is.

thanks for all your replies. i have and use freemake.I was wanting to squeeze the files and small as possible and saw how to convert avi files to xdiv but couldnt see how to convert to divx.I have a dvd(home made with lots and lots of films on because i was told it was in divx.I can only fit some four or five short films on disc using freemake convert to avi.heres the million dollar question !! which is the smaller file dvix or xdiv or are they both the same pse.Remember before blinding me with science im a silver surfer.thanks to you all once again

divx and xvid will produce pretty much the same file size.

You can vary the compress rate in freemake which then controls the output file size.

What are you going to play the movies back on, if its a small screen then you can drop the resolution to give better compression.

When you change the options in Freemake don't forget it also changes the resolution, so a video file converted to xvid that is 640x480 will be a larger file than one converted to 320x240.

It also depends on the quality you want, the better you want them to look the larger the file size.

Most youtube videos are pretty crap quality to begin with so you shouldn't see much loss. When you start taking 720p and 1080p ones down to 320x240 xvid the quality drop quite a lot.

Also it depends on what you are watching them on, a 320x240 xvid video will look great on a mobile phone but will look really crap on a full HD tv.

You can also adjust all the variables in Freemake, just click on the gear wheel to edit the preset, so you can keep the quality H.246 codec but lower the bitrate or resolution to make the final file smaller. Also lowering the sound quality will also make the file smaller but not as much as adjusting the video.

You can play with the settings and it will tell you the estimated filesize before you convert.

If you are trying to put files onto a DVD disc for playing in a DVD player you don't need to convert them to AVI first.

Just queue up all the video's in free make and then hit the "to DVD" button and it will make them into a DVD file with a menu (remember to select the menu option) in proper DVD format.

You can get upto 40 hours of video on 1 dual layer disc, or 20 hours on a single layer disk. This would equate to approx 300 x 4minute videos on a 20 hour disc.

It will do all the working out for you, just select the youtube vids you want to write by going to youtube and hitting the freemake button in your browser. Freemake will automatically set the best bitrate and format for the whole lot and will set the proper resolution for a DVD.

Last edited:
Back