Apple releases iOS 7.0.2 update to fix lock screen passcode bypass flaws

snapman

VIP Member
Staff member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apple has released another update for its new iOS 7 operating system, this time to fix an issue that could allow people to bypass the passcode screen to access apps and make phone calls.

Security researchers had found the issue when iOS 7 first launched and Apple promised an update would be made available soon. The iOS 7.0.2 update was launched a few days ago and is now being rolled out as a 13.6MB download.

A note on Apple’s website details the reasons for the fix, confirming it works on all iPhone devices since the iPhone 4 and all iPad devices since the iPad 2.

“A person with physical access to the device may be able to see recently used apps, see, edit and share photos,” it said. “The list of apps you opened could be accessed during some transitions while the device was locked, and the Camera app could be opened while the device was locked."

Apple also confirmed fixing another issue that allows calls to be made. “A Null dereference existed in the lock screen, which would cause it to restart if the emergency call button was tapped repeatedly,” it said.

“While the lock screen was restarting, the call dialer could not get the lock screen state and assumed the device was unlocked, and so allowed non-emergency numbers to be dialed. This issue was addressed by avoiding the Null dereference.”

The update comes after the iOS 7.0.1 update was pushed out last weekend, although Apple was less forthcoming with the reasons for that fix, merely stating that it contained “bug fixes and improvements".

The issues have not put off eager owners of Apple devices from installing the new operating system, with 200 million downloads registered by Apple within the first few days of its release.

Source: Apple releases iOS 7.0.2 update to fix lock screen passcode bypass flaws - IT News from V3.co.uk

I updated to7.0.2 last Friday.

Updated the wifes 4s and not liking the new icons much

it never fixed it lol

How To Bypass iOS 7.0.2 Passcode Lock & Access iPhone 5S, 5C

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
how would a crook know who is in my contacts with FaceTime ?

Sent from my iPhone 5

Crook might not have to know. Doesn't Siri 'guess' if it hears something remotely like what it's supposed to hear? My iP4 mysteriously dialled a contact from within my pocket once, now I finally sort of know how!

Apple are going to release ios 7.0.3 next week. ( reported on iClarified today).

Back