Any Heating Engineers out there ?

silvershadow21

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Got my annual boiler service today with British Gas, and it didn't go according to plan.
Heating & Hot water were working perfectly b4 the chap arrived,
and seemed to be according to "Him", all ok when he left.

It was only after he left, i realized that the radiators were getting cooler, and to add to the problem, i have virtually no hot water now.

Turn on hot tap, you hear the boiler kick in for about 10 sec, then off again, so am barely getting about 10/15 sec at most hot water at any one time,.

Its taken about 4hrs for the radiators to become anywere near warm which is ridiculous, but the hot water problem still remains.

they are coming back out 2morrow, to have another look at the problem they created.

My question, relating to the radiators was,

Could he have introduced air into the system in any way, when he was doing the service, to cause the radiator taking ages to warm up ?

&

Any thots to what could have happened to the hot water

cheers everyone

my mate a gas safe plumber i was saying to him could he service my boiler and he said no unless it`s playing up don`t touch them as when you open it up you end up creating probs looks like he`s correct for a change

our last serivce we were told "oh, its nolonger a supported boiler" but they wanted us to keep paying the monthly fee? wtf?

we have it set to high, but each time he came he'd turn it right down to 'low' ermmm thanks - i like my hot water a certain temp. keep off it.

we've now canceled the cover. pah.

I'm not an heating engineer, but check the boilers stat setting. Should be I guess at least between 4 and 5 with this cold spell.
He may have wound it down to 1 or 2, maybe.
Worth a "look see."

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

What sort of boiler/heating system is it mate, is it a combi or 'Y' plan with a boiler and h/w cylinder

cheers guys,
The settings are set perfect,
Dual settings on the boiler
Rads @ the top of the optimum setting, and the same with the Hot water.
I change these myself summer & winter setting.

There's alot to be said about "if it aint broke"

Could be air if he drained it and put new fernox in and not bled it properly?

Try opening a vent on a rad upstairs and see if it's full of air, also see if your Boilers has a bleed vent.

My new boiler is auto venting. Old one wasn't, I had to vent it manually.

I'm not a Boiler engineer though, just had lots of issues in the past and had to learn a bit to keep it running.....

Hi Guys,

its a Ferrolli Modena 102 combi boiler (was in the house when i purchased).
Dont think they get a great reputation.

Spent the night, bleeding & balancing the rads, and a think a may have cracked this part.

I have re pressured the system thru the fill loop, to be running at 2bar,
when hot ( this is the recommenced pressure according to the manual)

Cant do anything about the hot water tho,
so its upto them 2morro to sort that part

cheers guys

I've learnt that sometimes the condenser pipe becomes frozen (weather as it is). This can be cured with hot water from a kettle pured on to it. May be worth a try.

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

Check the pressure if the pressure drops after bleeding or flushing the boiler will not function at all.

If the pressure gauge is low there are 2 black water taps underneath the boiler open them to raise the pressure tap the gauge too because the needle can get stuck, once it is at the correct pressure shut the valves off.

Guys,
thanks for all who contributed here.

Thats its sorted.

Turned out to be the "Ventruri" valves (they had become brittle), and needed replaced, according to the Engineer

cheers

Guys,
thanks for all who contributed here.

Thats its sorted.

Turned out to be the "Ventruri" valves (they had become brittle), and needed replaced, according to the Engineer

cheers

Ah good to hear you got it sorted nothing like being without heating or hot water at this time of year.

Back