Any alarm engineers?

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a Pyronix Sterling 10 house alarm, it was fitted by the council about 7 years ago.

On Monday during the extreme hot weather it went off on it's own. Put the code in but it wouldn't stop, so ended up cutting the power and pulling the battery to make it stop after about 20 minutes.

Since then I have not been able to get it back on properly. It says TAMPER every time I try to set it and the alarm goes off almost immediately.

I think perhaps the hot weather has caused a component to pop or a dry joint to occur in the bell housing on the front of the house but can't tell for sure. I checked all the room sensors and they appear to be working fine, as is the door sensor, anti tamper switch in the connections box and personal attack switch so can only think it is the bell.

Has anyone ever dealt with or used one of these?

Hi M8,

From what you've said does sound like the tamper switch,either in the panel or the bell box,usually its a long peice of metal that just needs bending out a touch.......

But you could try disabling the tamper to make sure it is that...

Thanks both I have managed to disable the tamper for the bell and it is now setting but I am not getting an alarm from outside, it strobes but no siren.

Check you've taken the right wire out m8......

Also that bell tamper is linked too bell negitive

Last edited:
I removed bell tamper (left it loose) and put a piece of wire to loop BT and B- . It must be right cos when I tried to just loop with the bell tamper still in place it kept on going off straight away. Might be the battery in the bell housing gone, but strobe is working fine. Too late now to keep testing it but will look again tomorrow.

Cheers.

I removed bell tamper (left it loose) and put a piece of wire to loop BT and B- . It must be right cos when I tried to just loop with the bell tamper still in place it kept on going off straight away. Might be the battery in the bell housing gone, but strobe is working fine. Too late now to keep testing it but will look again tomorrow.

Cheers.
Hi
BT - B- Wire link is correct way to link out the bell tamper in the panel. Sounds to me like a fuse blown (B+ & B-) these terminals should have around 13volts Dc. 1Amp Bell fuse on panel PCB.
The 20min ring time is an automatic cut-off built into the External Siren if power is lost, So the battery in Siren is ok.
If it's not the fuse & you have voltage at the bell try the Tamper switch in the bell, Check for corrosion & re-make connections.
When re-fitting the Siren cover listen to see if you can hear the tamper switch click closed.
If this fails it may be time for a new External Siren.......

Back