****** And the new traffic Mangement

What would the implications be if they opened the floodgates, removed all caps/monitoring equipment etc & gave everyone the maximum bandwidth possible under their current infrastructure?

I know there are different tiers of service & varying costs, but put that aside for the moment.

They can magically increase the speed without installing new hardware in the house or at the UBR.

I would imagine doing this would be easy to set up & maintain?

I think there would be an initial "burst" of activity, but then it would settle down & find it's own level.

Thats pretty much how it was before stm. The modem config set your quality of service to whatever speed you paid for and there was no other cap/monitoring. Unfortunately this didn't work so well once the user base got to a certain point, mostly because too many people were abusing a domestic connection and continuously maxing out that connection. The result was that other people on the same node had to suffer a degraded service. This was especially bad at certain times of the day, mostly in the late afternoon/early evening. STM is simply vm's response to this problem.

People need to realise that VM is a contended service although the contention mechanism isn't the same as ADSL. Every user is in direct competition for bandwidth with every other user that is currently using the same node. Each node may have 50-100 users competing for the bandwidth allocation for that node which may be as little as 50Mbps.

Back