****** And the new traffic Mangement

the thing is i pay for 20mb so i want 20mb end off story

the thing is i pay for 20mb so i want 20mb end off story

And you get 20Megs until your usage becomes excessive !

If you expect to be able to download 24/7 at 20Meg then your expectations are unrealistic.

If you expect to be able to download 24/7 at 20Meg then your expectations are unrealistic.

so i will go to 4mbthats ok with me

I'd like to be able to download more that 3gig a week on a 20mb service without being capped tho m8 - as thats what was happening to me

so i will go to 4mbthats ok with me

Chances are that on any service that you move to there will be some constraint either now or in the near future. ISP's simply cant afford to have domestic customers using full bandwidth 24/7.

I'd like to be able to download more that 3gig a week on a 20mb service without being capped tho m8 - as thats what was happening to me

You have another problem I think - thats not stm !

There are areas that are heavily oversubscribed which reduce in speed to a crawl as the available bandwidth is shared out to all the available customers connected to that node (you are in contention with other users).

This, I agree is unacceptable and should be sorted by vm. They should of stuck with their working contention ratios and upgraded as necessary rather than simply just adding new customers and breaking their own rules.

Chances are that on any service that you move to there will be some constraint either now or in the near future. ISP's simply cant afford to have domestic customers using full bandwidth 24/7.

please explain why as your comments are nonsense!

i just get fed up when they keep moving the goal post when they like
i must be in the boat with davidh

So how come all these other countries are managing to do it ? A recent article in the press said the uk was falling well behind other nations in its broadband speeds.Some of them are even getting 100 meg.And China is the biggest internet using nation at the moment so its not as if we are straining their resources more than anyone else

i just get pissed when they pick on the small guys(2mb) not the 20mb+, my d/load rate goes down to 1mb between 4pm an 9pm, is it really fair?

I haven't been downloading much at all for the last month or so but now i get to download about 4 gig and it drops to 5 meg no matter what time of day it is !

I am on 10mb...it used to be 4mb until free upgrade. Anything I wanted to download I woud queue it up and download after 9pm but sometimes I want something there and then and it falls within the 4pm-9pm range so I get capped from 1.19mb to 280kb but thats o.k as it only half the speed I was getting on 4mb. I am not sure of the rules really but I thought they capped the top 5% between 4pm-9pm so now and again I try to get something around 8pm hoping that the top 5% have already beeen capped and sometimes I do get away without being capped but as I said...it doesnt bother me if I do get capped as it only a few tv series or a film I want...not live or death...it can wait until restrictions are lifted.

please explain why as your comments are nonsense!

Work it out !

What kind of bandwidth would an ISP have to maintain to guarantee the full speed for every one of its customers 24/7.

Lets assume vm have 7 Million customers with 25% on 20Meg, 40% on 10Meg and 35% on 2Meg. Do the maths on what is required and you'll see why it is economically infeasable for any ISP to offer this kind of service to domestic customers.

I haven't been downloading much at all for the last month or so but now i get to download about 4 gig and it drops to 5 meg no matter what time of day it is !

It shouldn't do after 9pm. If you hit the 3gb limit,unless its after 9pm, then you will be capped.
Doesn't bother me much during the week cos I just start a sh*tload after 9pm but weekends are a pain.

So how come all these other countries are managing to do it ? A recent article in the press said the uk was falling well behind other nations in its broadband speeds.Some of them are even getting 100 meg.And China is the biggest internet using nation at the moment so its not as if we are straining their resources more than anyone else

A lot of it is the press simply trying to generate a story. Headline speeds in many other countries may be faster than the uk but connectivity is often very limited to very specific areas.

The countries concerned usually have a government controlled monopolistic telecoms provider rather than a private company. Its often the governments that are providing the funding for this advanced internet connectivity.

Also, in most cases, the advanced connection has limited availability in large cities only. You may also have noticed a lot of chinese/korean sites appear slow - thats because they still run off dial-up or relatively slow adsl type connections.

The US is experimenting with various fast technologies but connectivity is again very limited outside of large cities.

And China is the biggest internet using nation at the moment so its not as if we are straining their resources more than anyone else

Forgot to mention that China is not really very representative when it comes to internet usage. The internet in China is heavily censored with very few external connections being allowed and very heavy monitoring of the rest. Its mostly a tool used by Chinese companies in order to advertise their wares to foreign buyers.

For the majority of Chinese citizens, using a p2p or downloading music/films would be illegal (assuming they would be allowed to do it in the first place) !

So, although they may have the largest population with internet access, what they can actually do with it is very limited !

Work it out !

What kind of bandwidth would an ISP have to maintain to guarantee the full speed for every one of its customers 24/7.

Lets assume vm have 7 Million customers with 25% on 20Meg, 40% on 10Meg and 35% on 2Meg. Do the maths on what is required and you'll see why it is economically infeasable for any ISP to offer this kind of service to domestic customers.

so is the tech in routers and switches not able to cope, then why is it our problem, it should be the isp to update their kit

I can understand in a country as big as china why they would need to restrict bandwidth to the major cities but in all probability those major cities would have a population in excess of the uk but they still manage to do so.Don't get me wrong if its impossible then its impossible BUT why not make that perfectly clear when advertising Their services .I know i wouldn't get away with advertising a car for sale saying it would do 100 miles to the gallon and then in small print saying only if you drive it at tick over speed.And its no good saying " well everybody does it " because that doesn't make it right.If vm are advertising 20 meg unlimited then thats what the public expects to get.If they can't deliver it then say so in BOLD letters explaining why, at least we would know what to expect .I think what i'm trying to say here is just be truthful then we could accept it

so is the tech in routers and switches not able to cope, then why is it our problem, it should be the isp to update their kit

Its not the fault of routers or switches its purely just the huge volume of potential traffic. If you work the numbers and look at the capability of trunk internet lines you will see the problem.

ISP's have to try and judge average usage and try to cope with that rather than on peak potential usage because that is, frankly, impossible. The internet itself couldn't cope with that much traffic never mind a single ISP !

...Don't get me wrong if its impossible then its impossible BUT why not make that perfectly clear when advertising Their services ....

ah, that I agree with. The advertising is very misleading !

Unfortunately, certain industries have a nasty habit of redefining words that they dont like very much to mean something totally different to what the rest of us understand. The ISP's are particularly good at this form of industry language redefinition. To them the word "unlimited" means something totally different than the standard dictionary definition.

I've no doubt this problem will only get worse !

Back