An Insurance Scenario

GIO

Inactive User
Reaction score
Daughters insurance who was 17 when first took out got insurance for £900 from elephant,she had a wee bump on her first day exiting a carpark she bumped someone and it left an inch by inch L shaped cut in the bumper.

Long story short it was sorted thru insurance as they said it was a minimal amount,apart from it costing less the £200 to get fixed they said there costs were about £500 and that i couldnt pay that so had to leave it.
Now the sods have put her insurance up to £1365 and shes 18 now.
Its bloody scandalous, she cant afford it in a nutshell.

This is my question:
I was going to Hmmmm buy her car off her which means its registered to me,take insurance out on it and make her 2nd driver.
Is this allowed as it would bring the insurance down as i have 20 odd years driving.
I drive just now but its my mothers name its in as its a motability and so im just the driver,its in my mothers name,so i dont already own a car.

Thats it, i feel a bit sorry for her, 18 and they want all this money. Never had a prob since that first day and its partly my fault as she was in a tight space and i should really have got her out, she also wasnt use to the car.

cheers
gio

Daughters insurance who was 17 when first took out got insurance for £900 from elephant,she had a wee bump on her first day exiting a carpark she bumped someone and it left an inch by inch L shaped cut in the bumper.

Long story short it was sorted thru insurance as they said it was a minimal amount,apart from it costing less the £200 to get fixed they said there costs were about £500 and that i couldnt pay that so had to leave it.
Now the sods have put her insurance up to £1365 and shes 18 now.
Its bloody scandalous, she cant afford it in a nutshell.

This is my question:
I was going to Hmmmm buy her car off her which means its registered to me,take insurance out on it and make her 2nd driver.
Is this allowed as it would bring the insurance down as i have 20 odd years driving.
I drive just now but its my mothers name its in as its a motability and so im just the driver,its in my mothers name,so i dont already own a car.

Thats it, i feel a bit sorry for her, 18 and they want all this money. Never had a prob since that first day and its partly my fault as she was in a tight space and i should really have got her out, she also wasnt use to the car.

cheers
gio

It's possible m8 - I had a sports car at 19 and it was an import so no way I could pay insurance - got my old man to register it in his name and I was 2nd driver - big reduction in premium. Only problem then was after 5-7 years or so and I bought another car, I had no no claims bonus and they all asked why since I've been driving for so long! hehehe It meant higher than normal premium but still not as much as before.

I think direct line now allows 2nd driver to build up co claims now though.

oh and 2nd driver is also only on third party afaik.

It's called fronting and is now illegal. Just saying, lol. Up to you I have no opinion.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

It's called fronting and is now illegal. Just saying, lol. Up to you I have no opinion.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

lol didnt know that - still if you both use the car dont think they can prove who the main driver is can they?

you'll have to be careful too if there's ever a claim and you've put her as a 2nd driver but they take the opinion she's the MAIN driver - they will refuse to pay

It actually mentions in the story Car Insurance Fronting that the car is in her name, im talking about getting the paperwork changed so it is in my name.

And could they prove she wasnt the 2nd driver ??

It actually mentions in the story Car Insurance Fronting that the car is in her name, im talking about getting the paperwork changed so it is in my name.

And could they prove she wasnt the 2nd driver ??

example
if she wrote it off the guy who comes to asses the damage also looks inside car and if he sees young stuff he assums the main driver is a young person.
make sure all her stuffis removed and some of your kit is installed,

example
if she wrote it off the guy who comes to asses the damage also looks inside car and if he sees young stuff he assums the main driver is a young person.
make sure all her stuffis removed and some of your kit is installed,

whos to say im not into small furry things and pink star stickers on the side.

they wouldnt be allowed to just assume. The car is for both of us,thats what i would say as it wouldnt be a lie. Thats why 2 names are on the policy.
If i let my daughter decorate the car that would be up to me as the owner and her dad surely.

If you are the Registered Keeper and you go ahead and do what you suggested then everything will be fine mate.

Get the car signed over to you, then insure it and add Daughter as named driver.

I'm currently doing the same thing with my son-in-law.

He saved well over a grand doing it this way, and I've got a wee VW Polo I can borrow any time I like ;)

Legally, it is MY car afterall ;)

Last edited:
My two cents. Fronting is illegal but it was exactly what I did. Year, about 1995. No way I could afford insurance on a car. My dad insured the car, I was a named driver and "really" ( I bought it ) the actual owner. I drove carefully and still managed to get in a prang. No problems with the insurance ( although the other party was to blame ). Stayed like this until I was 21 then took my own insurance. It was a little costly but nowhere near as bad as when I was 17. 14 years later, 100% no claims and cheap as chips for fully comp. Up to you to take the risk.

If you are the Registered Keeper and you go ahead and do what you suggested then everything will be fine mate.

Get the car signed over to you, then insure it and add Daughter as named driver.

I'm currently doing the same thing with my son-in-law.

He saved well over a grand doing it this way, and I've got a wee VW Polo I can borrow any time I like ;)

Legally, it is MY car afterall ;)

did u put him or yourelf as 1st driver

I am 1st driver, he is 2nd.

If I put him as 1st driver the policy jumped up by around £250.

In the end we were both insured for his car for a little under £500

I passed my test at 17 and was considering this with my dad as the main driver and me as the second.

In the end i bought a 1 litre polo and it was about £1600 to insure in the first year. The second year went down to around £550 then i bought a 1.6 saxo and im now about £500 quid a year with 3 years no claims.

I think i would have saved a little going on my dads but not too much but im positive my insurance wouldn't be this cheep if i didn't have any no claims!

If you can afford it, I'd always tell a young driver to insure themself, it pays off after a few years, exactly as Falkirk Bairn has discovered.

If you can afford it, I'd always tell a young driver to insure themself, it pays off after a few years, exactly as Falkirk Bairn has discovered.

look at my first post and tell me how many 18 year old students can afford that. (never even mind the student part)

been told by someone that theres insurance companies that give no claims bonuses to people who dont own the car and are 2nd drivers.

i know of tesco seemingly and maybe admiral.

does anyone no any more.

Directline give named drivers no claims bonus if there have been no claims.

Go through quidco and get further cashback

I did this with my son a few years ago.
I registered his car in my wife's name and we insured it for ANY driver (on the advice of the insurance agent). There was an extra excess for drivers under 25. Didn't have any problems even when the car got written off. Still continued this on his next car.

Which ever way you look at this, the younger driver always gets stung!
Thats alot on money for anyone to find! let alone a student.
I would insure it in your name and have her as a named driver.
As already mentioned go with a company that allows named drivers to earn their own NCB.
It may be Fronting, but i dont see what choice you have.
Just be careful to have a scenario already in place in case of a claim.
Like Her freinds car broke down who usually gives her a lift etc.
Me and my wife insured each others cars for years as i had too many points and convictions, so it was cheaper to insure the most powerful car in her name.
That was years ago and these days we do everything by the book and dont front.
I have no points now and when you get over 40 even FC is less than £200
The problem is that acording to the insurance statistics, that younger drivers pose a greater risk and are insured accordingly!
The only other way is to find a car thats cheaper to insure.
Start looking for cars that fall into insurance group 1 or 2 at the most.
Most of these will not be trendy to drive or have a youthful image, but hey it beats walking!
Fiat Panda etc, mainly cars with a 1.0ltr engine or lower .
Basics are the slower it is and looks like its not worth stealing and in fact is not worth stealing, then it wil be cheaper to insure!

i remember saving for ages to get my first car when i passed my test at 17, an Austin Mini 850 - cost me £200.

insurance was £600 3rd party. gutted. sat on the drive for ages till i sorted my insurance.

Back