Amazon Firestick Users

joe516

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
With Amazon winning rights to show football and general streaming, it is advisable to change some settings on the sticks and Amazon box's.

This will stop them just removing apps on the next update.
AMAZON USERS PLEASE DO THE FOLLOWING

So to protect your stick from the next Amazon update it is suggested

You turn off the Data collection and app usage data in the settings under preferences and security . Would also recommend turning off auto updates .

TO PROTECT OLDER STICK SEE BELOW, ALSO ADVISED TO FOLLOW ON 4K AS WELL

Settings/Preferences/privacy settings

Device Usage Data TURN OFF

Collect App Usage Data TURN OFF

Settings/Preferences/Data Monitoring TURN OFF

Settings/My Fire TV/Developer Options

ADB Debugging TURN OFF

Settings/Applications/Appstore

Automatic Updates TURN OFF

I've got a mate coming round with his new Firestick for me to setup today. This info is perfect.

Thanks again Joe

I think i seen warnings like this a long time ago and nothing materialised.
Does no harm following advise in post #1. But theres more than one way to load apps.
IE: “computer”

I did take to firesticks awhile ago, but there seriously not that good.
Would rather have good spec android box any day, rather than all this sh*t from an over hyped cigarette lighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you can hard wire the fire stick especially the 4k versions there good , i used to slag them off but ive got rid of the android boxes and i use my 4k stick hard wired not a glitch .

Certainly for the money, when on offer they are a bargain.
However I get rivers point I prefer an android box, but have a firestick in the bedroom.

But that doesnt actually turn updates off. The Firestick with voice £39.99 automatically updates as soon as you enter your wifi details, it doesn't give you chance to fart. You cant go any further till you do.
The 4k will only update once you click to allow it to update which is better. There are scripts to stop them updating but these only for the older models. They will work on the newer FW's but you run the risk of it stopping other Amazon apps.
Are there any good workings mods for these yet?

Amazon MAY delete or stop third party apps as they have tv rights to the premier league. do the above to stop the next firestick update
*IMPORTANT FIRESTICK USERS*
From the Firesticks Home screen

1) Settings
2) Preferences
3) Privacy Settings :-

Device Usage Data "TURN OFF"
Collect App Usage Data "TURN OFF"
Interest-based Ads "TURN OFF"

4) Data Monitoring "TURN OFF"
5) My Fire TV
6) Developer Options :-

ADB Debugging "TURN OFF"

7) Applications
8) Appstore :-

Automatic Updates "TURN OFF"

Yeah Joe but how do you stop a new stick stop updating from the very first screen when you plug it in ??. As soon as I plugged mine in it started to update and without it you cannot get any further in settings it up never mind those settings you mentioned. Your guide will work on a stick thats already setup but not a new stick.

Yeah Joe but how do you stop a new stick stop updating from the very first screen when you plug it in ??. As soon as I plugged mine in it started to update and without it you cannot get any further in settings it up never mind those settings you mentioned. Your guide will work on a stick thats already setup but not a new stick.
I didn't new fire stick yesterday I updated it then I switched off the updates and it was ok for me

The problem is with your guide is,

You are not actually turning off any system updates your only turning off auto update for the installed apps, there is no way to turn updates off.

I got up this morning, plugged my stick in and the first thing I'm met was an on screen message saying something like

Your firestick is about to update.....
There was 2 buttons
Update
Remind me later
But more worrying, it was counting down from 60 and if not stopped it was going to update on its own.
Is there any commands or anything you can adblink to the stick to block system auto updates ??.

Method 2 Guide
  1. Connect to your Fire TV via ADB
  2. Run the command:

3. adb shell pm hide com.amazon.device.software.ota
    (If the message “unknown command hide” appears, it’s because this only works on software version 5.0 and up, as I stated above. You need to use method 3 or 4 instead.)
  4. Run the command: exit
To re-enable updates, simply follow this guide again but replace hide with unhide in step 2. Alternatively, performing a factory reset will also re-enable updates.

This only works on older firesticks, most firesticks are on 6.0 and above. I think it would be false economy to block iptv apps loaded say via adblink or Apps2Fire. I mean why would you ? The sales would plummet as people move over to cheap andriod boxes.

Last edited:
could you explain why the updates from amazon are bad, i think ther comes better apps with this apps. is it not so?
audio quality i much better than the realease date software version.

There is a fear they may stop sideloaded apps from working, especially now they are moving into showing epl football matches, it is all speculation though.

Method 2 Guide
  1. Connect to your Fire TV via ADB
  2. Run the command:

3. adb shell pm hide com.amazon.device.software.ota
    (If the message “unknown command hide” appears, it’s because this only works on software version 5.0 and up, as I stated above. You need to use method 3 or 4 instead.)
  4. Run the command: exit
To re-enable updates, simply follow this guide again but replace hide with unhide in step 2. Alternatively, performing a factory reset will also re-enable updates.

This only works on older firesticks, most firesticks are on 6.0 and above. I think it would be false economy to block iptv apps loaded say via adblink or Apps2Fire. I mean why would you ? The sales would plummet as people move over to cheap andriod boxes.

What are methods 3 and 4 ?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back