Am i being unreasonable?????

my lad all go to bed between 8-9pm they play laptops or consoles until 10 then they have to have the tv/dvds on until they fall asleep usually about 10:30 then we switch them off for them.

My lad kicks off about our rules, we get him to go to bed at 9 during the week and later at weekend he is 11, all I ever get off him is my m8's go to bed way later than me and get to play on xbox till god knows what time.

I kindly point out the ones who tend not to get good sleep are probably stupid and lack in school work etc...

Sure he will be the same with his kids when he gets older...

My lad kicks off about our rules, we get him to go to bed at 9 during the week and later at weekend he is 11, all I ever get off him is my m8's go to bed way later than me and get to play on xbox till god knows what time.

I kindly point out the ones who tend not to get good sleep are probably stupid and lack in school work etc...

Sure he will be the same with his kids when he gets older...

i think that must be an urban myth,lol our 12 y.o as stated id in bed for 8.30 and hes a little shit in school.and the mrs mite kill me but thick as 2 short planks

this topic was a thorn in my side lol
my daughter who is now 16 and left school.. wen she was 15 i set a rule that the tv and laptop was of at 11 as she was doing exams in school .and of a week end it was 12 ..i had all the tamtrums you would expect from a 10 yr old not a 15 yr old .then she hit 16 and left school ..so let her use the laptop and tv till 12 no matter wot day .and still got the toys out the pram.
got the am 16 yrs old now am an adult thrown at me ...in the end she moved in to her grand parents house.."little did she no she was being set up"
she had to be in at 10 no matter what day it was. no internet and no tv in her room .with in a month she was begging to come home. she found out the hard way the grass is never greener on the other side. and now goes with what ever i say...just wish add set some rules yrs ago as in the o.p ... so your deffo not being unreasonable .i wouldnt want any 1 going what i went throu .stick to your guns fella

I think in this day and age what you are doing is far more reasonable than some kids would be allowed.
I congratulate you for your concern and lenience shown in the internet department as it is a dangerous place for children if not monitored.
Let the read the replies posted above to see just how fair you are and prepare yourself for the next few years cos it gets harder as they get older. :Clap:

No not really ... with out rules chaos reins. As parents we will all have different times for our children to go to bed, come of the games console and putters ect.

You know your children best, the main thing is to stick to the rules you set, once you start giving in they will start pushing more. My 2 are 13 and 11, both are allowed on face book and msn ... however there are rules they have to stick to, they are only allowed to be friends with people they know and no arguments or bad language allowed. I have installed software on both of their laptops so i can randomly check on there accounts. I also know their passwords ect. (however i do the checks with them present, and only skim through to ensure they are behaving in a descent way).

One thing i would advice as they get older is to talk with them about the rules you have in place, listen to what they have to say, sometimes what they ask for is not unreasonable, and giving them a bit of say and control over their lives is not a bad thing. However that is your choice to make, and what works for me may not work for you.

Try to remember how you felt at their ages ( as parents our job is to protect our children ) and do what you think is right for them.

Good luck @manx

My 13 year old son is on xbox/laptop till 9 then bed at 9.30 on school nights and 10 then bed at 10.30 at weekend,
Try to restrict his time on xbox but its hard going.
Good thing though, he loves sport so plays rugby and cricket which keeps him fit

for our 13 year old it's 3 hours internet a day

bed at 9pm school nights and then at 9:30-10pm weekends

You should make the rules as to how you want it to run.YOU pick the times,YOU decide what they go on - parents rule!! Obviously discretion comes into it and be reasonable about it. Kids kickin off and tantrums - easy -take the kit off them for a night and so on for every time they do it. And the same for everytime they abuse the priveledges that you give them - take the stuff away from them. i caught my daughter textin after 12 under the covers.took phone off her,gave it back in the mornin and took it off her again when she came home from school...wasn't long b4 she begged for it to stop and its not happened again.Stop pussyfootin

Back