Alternative to Open DNS Free one?

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any one could recommend and alternative to OpenDNS.

Just found a kinda flaw that I'd rather not be in on.

You appear to be using OpenDNS.

OpenDNS, by default, deliberately returns addresses even for domain names which should not resolve. Instead of an error, the DNS server returns an address of 67.215.65.132, which resolves to hit-nxdomain.opendns.com. You can inspect the resulting HTML content [here]. (Edited the link)

This is central to OpenDNS's business model. In order to support an otherwise free service, OpenDNS presents the users with advertisements whenever they make a typo in their web browser. You can disable this behavior through the OpenDNS Dashboard.

(I can't find it...???)

The big problem with this behavior is that it can potentially break any network application which relies on DNS properly returning an error when a name does not exist.
The following lists your DNS server's behavior in more detail.

Not to mention I'd rather not be hit with adverts, tracking etc.

www.{random}.com is mapped to 67.215.65.132.
www.{random}.org is mapped to 67.215.65.132.
fubar.{random}.com is mapped to 67.215.65.132.
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
[sic] is mapped to 67.215.65.132.
nxdomain.{random}.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu is mapped to 67.215.65.132.

Another problem with the DNS server is its response to a server failure. Instead of properly returning an error when it cannot contact the DNS authority, the DNS server returns an address of 67.215.66.132. Since transient failures are quite common this can be significantly disruptive, turning a transient failure into a wrong answer without any notification to the application doing the name lookup.

Last edited:
Back