Alternative to Grabit

fitzybhoy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Apologies if posted in wrong section.

I've been using Grabit for a few years as it is easy to use and handles all my nzb needs. However since installing win 7 I've found that it is pretty unstable with glitches, stalls and crashes.

Looking for an alternative, something simple to use and most importantly stable.

i use a program called newsleecher mate..

very easy to use and stable, im using it on win7 with no problems...

have a look in applications it might be in there..

Just about everyone I know now uses sabnzbd. Its open source (i.e. free) and web based so you can do everything remotely as well including apps to manage it from iphone, android, etc

As with most readers will only download PAR if required.

It can hook into nzbmatrix and newzbin so you can trigger downloads without having to mess with nzb files (great when you are at work) and understand tags so downloads are sorted including TV downloads by show and then season. It also has loads of plug-ins, for example ones to monitor and auto-download TV shows.

SABnzbd.org : Home of SABnzbd+, the Full-Auto Newsreader

Its only weak point is that it does not work with headers.

Just about everyone I know now uses sabnzbd. Its open source (i.e. free) and web based so you can do everything remotely as well including apps to manage it from iphone, android, etc

As with most readers will only download PAR if required.

It can hook into nzbmatrix and newzbin so you can trigger downloads without having to mess with nzb files (great when you are at work) and understand tags so downloads are sorted including TV downloads by show and then season. It also has loads of plug-ins, for example ones to monitor and auto-download TV shows.

SABnzbd.org : Home of SABnzbd+, the Full-Auto Newsreader

Its only weak point is that it does not work with headers.

thanks oneman, nice post.. looks very interesting.

tell me, what do you mean when you say it dont work with headers :)

thanks oneman, nice post.. looks very interesting.

tell me, what do you mean when you say it dont work with headers :)

If you don't know what it means its unlikely that you are using the feature.

Basically as you may know usenet is actually a message board system. All the files are encoded in individual messages (sometimes tens of thousands to make up one file). The message headers are like the subject line in e-mail and tell the indexing sites like newzbin and nzbmatrix which messages go with which file. As you know the indexing sites do not offer 100%, its just not practical. So its possible for you to download the headers yourself using something like newsbin pro or newsleacher, then the downloading programs out which messages are required for a specific file.

I used grabit right from the very beginning, when it was good because there was no alternatives.

For the last 5 years I've used newsleecher because it's updated way more and has more features.

With newsleecher you can subscribe to certain newsgroups and download a list of headers and search through for stuff that hasnt had an NZB made. I find way more music this way as around 80% of older albums never have NZB made or index's done.

I also use sabNZB on a different pc for overnight downloading, it's great and can log into your nzbmatrix account and download stuff automatically, without you even having to download the NZB yourself. You can create a list of what you want to download and from which catagory and it will log in several times per day to get new NZB's. Great for when you go on holiday, or if you forget to download your fav TV show.

Unlike newsleecher, sabnzb has no search facility IE you cannot search the usenet for stuff, it's also fails more than newsleecher with PARs and also fails to unRAR file more frequently. But I just use quickpar and 7zip on the files it's downloaded and they work.

For searching I use supersearch in newsleecher (a paid for service) or binsearch (which is free), plus nzbmatrix ($10 for a lifetime membership).

i 2nd sabnzbd its great, very easy to use, been using it since i started with nzb's about a year ago, and its never crashed or anything in that time, always works great for me on windows 7!

Back