ALcohol - how long to get out of your system?

digicol

Inactive User
Reaction score
North East England, but nowhere near Dutcho!!! Ba
My mate lost his driving license a few years ago due to drink driving. Anyway, he has now done his time and has his medical on Monday morning to see if he can apply for his license again.

What he is wanting to know is can they detect alcohol in your blood a say 48 hours after having a few cans of lager.

He had 4 cans on Friday night and 6 cans last night.

Will he be ok for a blood test tomorrow?

He also gave up cannabis about a month ago, will be now clear incase they check for other substances also?

Alcohol is 1 hr per unit, so 4 cans would be out of his system the next morning, thats as long as he has a decent liver and is normal body weight etc, but generally 1 hr per unit.

To be honest if he is going to be driving then he has to curb back on the drinking.

I used to drink quite a bit but realised once you have a car and rely on having a driving license sometimes drinking like that isnt an option.

not saying give up drinking totally but if he was banned from driving for driving while drinking that is quite a serious offence.

HOWEVER, the fact that he has given up hat he has and is on the recovery path is a good sign. Hope he has learnt from his mistake.

just drink plenty of water, and dont you have to go to a private quack which costs a pretty penny.

when working for Lotus, had to have the full works, blood, urine and even a lock of hair? I crapped myself when I knew and googled like crazy for masks and potions, passed though.

whilst all the advice is good and valid - maybe its a good idea for him to call in and say he simply cannot make a check-up yet? That way, he can have a few days of the juice and stroll in as sober as a judge.

It might be better telling him to get his act squared up first before even thinking about driving again.

If he can't stay away from the sauce for even a week prior to having a blood test, then a driving license is the least of his problems.

Sounds like a bit of a gambler to me.

Not looking for an arguement here m8...just calling it as I see it.

cancelling is not a good idea, unless you have a rock solid alibi, it could also take weeks to get another appointment, and the guy may need the car for his job.

Well it is our carnival weekend so he had some tinnies there.

He does not have a drink problem at all, he did lose his license in the past due to being silly, but all he wants to know is can they trace alcohol of any form in his blood 2 days after his last drink. And how strict are they?

And yeah, this medical has cost him £100 so he needs to take it.

but all he wants to know is can they trace alcohol of any form in his blood 2 days after his last drink.

Highly unlikely it will still be in his system from Friday night, its almost certain to be clear right now. If he tests positive then he is lying to you about when his last drink was.

He is a asshole for drinking & driving in the 1st place but hopefully he will have learned his lesson. If the guy wants a drink in the future then he is totally entitled to have one, if he likes a few tinnies then why should he stop, most of us like a wee drink....just as long as he is sensible and doesnt intend to drive.

They don't need to find alcohol remenants in his system to know he has been drinking.

If they test liver functions they can see evidence of it, something to do with Gamma Glutamyl Transferase or something like that.

Alcohol is 1 hr per unit, so 4 cans would be out of his system the next morning, thats as long as he has a decent liver and is normal body weight etc, but generally 1 hr per unit.

1 hour per unit, spot on

Wouldn't some exercise help clear his system of all traces, increasing metabolism and all that..?

Thats for alcohol metabolisation. Detectable products remain in the body for anything upto a month.

Thats for alcohol metabolisation. Detectable products remain in the body for anything upto a month.

Would that put you over the limit nozzer, not being funny...I genuinely would be interested to know.

I dont know what these medicals entail but surely you would be allowed some traces of alcohol.

Would that put you over the limit nozzer, not being funny...I genuinely would be interested to know.

I dont know what these medicals entail but surely you would be allowed some traces of alcohol.

No, you wouldn't be over the limit after metabolisation. The body deals with alcohol by changing it to other relatively harmless chemicals and obviously most is expelled in the urine. Small detectable traces do however remain in the body for extended periods of time.

Unless a test is specifically looking for these trace chemicals then it is unlikely to be detected and its highly doubtful a standard blood test would look that deep. Its actually more likely that a normal blood test would detect excess alcohol usage (ie alcoholic) by measuring markers left by reduced liver and/or kidney function.

Back