Public urged to pay respects at funeral of war hero

PHEONIX

Inactive User
Reaction score
Public urged to pay respects at funeral of war hero who has almost nobody to attend

MEMBERS of the public are being urged to pay their final respects to a late war hero who has almost nobody to attend his funeral.

George Thompson fought bravely for his country in the Second World War - but has passed away at the age of 96 with no family members and few surviving friends.
Now the Royal Air Force Association has called on well-wishers to give Mr Thompson, of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, the send-off he deserves.
Andy Merris, standard bearer of the Rotherham RAFA, said: "It's about trying to get people there and to give the guy a send-off.
"We would love people to attend as a mark of respect and just to say, 'Thank you, God bless you'."
George William Thompson was born in Sheffield on September 19, 1917.
Both he and his wife, Mildred, worked at Laycock's Engineering Works, which made aircraft parts.

Mr Thompson was an inspector in the Aircraft Inspection Department.
His role was regarded as a reserved occupation so it took numerous attempts before he was eventually accepted into the RAF for pilot training at the age of 24.
He began his training on April 13, 1942, and just 17 days later he flew solo for the first time.
Mr Thompson and his fellow course members were earmarked to fly bombers and he was sent to Canada and the USA. While training with the American Army Air Corps it was discovered he had incredible night vision.
Speaking previously, Mr Thompson said: "We were supposed to be going onto bombers but, when it was recorded about my night-sight, I went onto night fighters.
"That most likely saved my life because thousands of bomber crew were killed."
Mr Thompson did have a number of close shaves himself, notably a dicey flight from Britain to Morocco.
Knowing they had limited fuel, Mr Thompson and his navigator Russell Spencer waited until there was a favourable tailwind before they took off. About halfway there, it looked like they weren't going to make it.

"We were given a new course to cut out some distance and we flew over Portugal and the bottom end of Spain with our cannons ready because there were German aircraft in the area," Mr Thompson had recalled.
"Luckily, we never saw a thing - it was lunchtime and I think they must have all gone to lunch.
"However still over the Atlantic, the gauges were showing empty. I saw the coast coming up and I flew straight towards the runway.
"As we taxied at the end of the runway, the control tower told us to follow a jeep and, just as I turned off the runway, both engines stopped. We had run out of fuel."
Mr Thompson and his squadron flew night interception and patrolled the skies above the Burmese jungle looking for any Japanese incursions until VJ Day in August, 1945.
He was finally demobbed from the RAF in May 1946 with the rank of Warrant Officer.
Mildred died in 2004. Mr Thompson spent his final years in a care home and died on May 14.
The funeral will take place on Friday, May 30, at Hutcliffe Wood Crematorium at 3.30pm.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Public urged to pay respects at funeral of war hero who has almost nobody to attend

MEMBERS of the public are being urged to pay their final respects to a late war hero who has almost nobody to attend his funeral.

George Thompson fought bravely for his country in the Second World War - but has passed away at the age of 96 with no family members and few surviving friends.
Now the Royal Air Force Association has called on well-wishers to give Mr Thompson, of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, the send-off he deserves.
Andy Merris, standard bearer of the Rotherham RAFA, said: "It's about trying to get people there and to give the guy a send-off.
"We would love people to attend as a mark of respect and just to say, 'Thank you, God bless you'."
George William Thompson was born in Sheffield on September 19, 1917.
Both he and his wife, Mildred, worked at Laycock's Engineering Works, which made aircraft parts.

Mr Thompson was an inspector in the Aircraft Inspection Department.
His role was regarded as a reserved occupation so it took numerous attempts before he was eventually accepted into the RAF for pilot training at the age of 24.
He began his training on April 13, 1942, and just 17 days later he flew solo for the first time.
Mr Thompson and his fellow course members were earmarked to fly bombers and he was sent to Canada and the USA. While training with the American Army Air Corps it was discovered he had incredible night vision.
Speaking previously, Mr Thompson said: "We were supposed to be going onto bombers but, when it was recorded about my night-sight, I went onto night fighters.
"That most likely saved my life because thousands of bomber crew were killed."
Mr Thompson did have a number of close shaves himself, notably a dicey flight from Britain to Morocco.
Knowing they had limited fuel, Mr Thompson and his navigator Russell Spencer waited until there was a favourable tailwind before they took off. About halfway there, it looked like they weren't going to make it.

"We were given a new course to cut out some distance and we flew over Portugal and the bottom end of Spain with our cannons ready because there were German aircraft in the area," Mr Thompson had recalled.
"Luckily, we never saw a thing - it was lunchtime and I think they must have all gone to lunch.
"However still over the Atlantic, the gauges were showing empty. I saw the coast coming up and I flew straight towards the runway.
"As we taxied at the end of the runway, the control tower told us to follow a jeep and, just as I turned off the runway, both engines stopped. We had run out of fuel."
Mr Thompson and his squadron flew night interception and patrolled the skies above the Burmese jungle looking for any Japanese incursions until VJ Day in August, 1945.
He was finally demobbed from the RAF in May 1946 with the rank of Warrant Officer.
Mildred died in 2004. Mr Thompson spent his final years in a care home and died on May 14.
The funeral will take place on Friday, May 30, at Hutcliffe Wood Crematorium at 3.30pm.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

What a sad story :( I truly hope that George gets the send off that he deserves. RIP George Thompson. :rip:

Hundreds turned out today to pay their respects to a World War Two veteran who almost slipped away unnoticed.

Former RAF flyer George Thompson passed away at 96 with no family members and few surviving friends. But the Royal Air Force Association urged people to attend today’s funeral to give him the send-off he deserved.

People around the country helped to spread the word, and this afternoon around 300 turned out to Hutcliffe Wood Crematorium in Sheffield.

Before the service Australian visitor Wally Walsh, 72, said: “We had come over from Australia on holiday and were staying in Berkshire.

“We saw the appeal for people to come in the news and my wife and I decided we would make the trip to pay our respects. It’s fabulous to see so many people gathered today.”

As the coffin was brought up to the church, servicemen, led by the sound of bagpipes, saluted Mr Thompson.

The coffin was then brought inside and at least 300 people – comprising servicemen, war veterans, members of the emergency services, and many journalists – packed into the tiny chapel.

With little room inside, many other mourners waited outside and heard the service relayed on loudspeakers.

Civil funeral celebrant David Hayes led the service and began by thanking people for the “phenomenal” attendance and read memories of Mr Thompson’s long life.

Mr Hayes then read the poem High Flight, by John Magee, before recalling the close love between Mr Thompson and his wife Millie, who died in 2004 after 56 years of marriage.

He then read the poem Flying West, by Michael J. Larkin , which closed by saying Mr Thompson his passed his “last test” and was now in heaven, with his wife and friends.

One of Mr Thompson’s only remaining friends Joan Hunter made a brief speech to thank attendees.

She said: “I am pleased you are all here, I would like to thank all of you individually – I am overwhelmed.”

A young serviceman then played the final salute on the trumpet to tearful attendees and the curtains closed around Mr Thompson’s coffin – which had his service hat, a picture of a young George, and a Union Flag upon it.

As the mourners left the chapel, We’ll Meet Again, by Dame Vera Lynn, was played.

After the funeral David Hayes said: “It was an incredible achievement that so many people came to pay tribute to an amazing man.

“It was an honour to be a part of it and I am so pleased we gave George the send-off he clearly deserved.”

Mr Thompson, from Sheffield, was in a “reserved occupation” working with wife Mildred at Laycock’s Engineering Works, which made aircraft parts. After numerous attempts he was accepted into the RAF for pilot training aged 24, flying solo just 17 days after he started training on April 13, 1942.

Mr Thompson and fellow trainees were earmarked to fly bombers and he was sent to Canada and the USA.

While training with the American Army Air Corps it was discovered he had incredible night vision. He recalled: “We were supposed to be going onto bombers but, when it was recorded about my night-sight, I went onto night fighters. That most likely saved my life because thousands of bomber crew were killed.”

He and his squadron flew night interception and patrolled the skies above the Burmese jungle looking for any Japanese incursions until VJ Day in August, 1945.

He was finally demobbed in May 1946 with the rank of Warrant Officer. Mrs Thompson died in 2004. Mr Thompson spent his final years in a care home and died on May 14.

Hundreds attend funeral of Sheffield?s ?forgotten? war veteran - Yorkshire Post

Back