Agent Forte. Any experts out there?

H

hbucks1

HI.
I've installed the software and I am able to find the files I'm after. The problem is how do I open the files once downloaded. I end up with several .DAT files and loads others but can do nothing with them. The window opens up with a load of text that is just scrambled.
Please help as this seem to be a very quick way to download.

Some files are in segments and you have to select all the parts, right click then Join Sections. In the window that opens the files must be in sequential order befor you choose either Join, Launch or Save. If you select Join then all of the segments will become one large file. When you get a yellow page icon at the side of your download then this means its been successful. Double click on it then right click then Save as. If you choose Save All Attatchnents then look in your Agent folder and they will be there. Once saved the yellow icon turns to green. You can then choose Delete body to free up space.

Hi Speccy,

Tried out your suggestions. More by luck I've managed to look at various pictures and listened to an mp3 track. Not yet managed to watch any movies yet. It seems quite hard to locate all the necessary attachments to get the complete file. Is ther no way for the software to search them out?

Thanks for your help.

Not as I know of unless you use the Find First, Find Next command. Also try sorting the list out by Author (at the top). THis will list most files sequentially.
It has only just come to my attention that a lot of files are now using the YENC code system. Not all news readers are capable of reading this format. It is supposed to cut down on overhead space. For example, if you download an mp3 of 10mb you are downloading about 13mb. By using yenc the overhead is only about 500kb instead of 3mb. (This is only a rough guide). There are thousands of files on the net done in yenc that people cant get (even though downloaded, just jibberish). What you need is Agent 1.91. THis decodes the yenc. If you cant get it then let me know. It wont salvage the yenc files you already have (Look on subject line, it wil say yenc). Select these, delete bodies, Join if need be (When using JOIN make sure all files are in correct sequence in window that come up) then download again using Agent 1.91. Should now be OK.

Are you sorted yet m8.
I like to keep an eye on folk who use the brill agent who get stuck
I will help all I can.

Hi Speccy,

Many thanks for your continued support.
I am still at a bit of a loss. I can find a few jpg and get to see them, great. I can find a few mpeg/divx but can not locate all the necessary parts. Even if I could I'm not sure what to do with them. Where is this join button you talk about?
I haven't got the latest version that you mention of agent, can you help me out there?
I have managed to find the parts for a mp3 track , and was able to listen to the whole song (Igot a bit excited when I did that).
My news server is btinternet, are there more out there that may include lastest movies ect, if so how do I connct to them?

Thanks again.

Check out latest Version for Yenc binaries here http://www.forteinc.com/release/191.php Serial available from from Serials 2000. I will pm you if you cant find it.
Whether you use Btinternet News, Blueyonder etc does not really matter except you have to be on line with that outfit before you can access. As long as the Newsgroups support Binaries then you are OK. Most Newservers support the same newsgroups.
Click on Author at the top. This usually sorts out most parts sequentially. Highlight all the parts you requre, EG: 1 of 40 through to 40 of 40. Right click and select Join.This should assemble all parts concerned into 1 file. Right click once done and choose Save all attatchments. This attatchment will then be saved in your Agent folder.

Back