Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Advice on fridge freezer

ashbash

Inactive User
I’m looking for some advise on a fridge freezer ours has been making a racket for over a week now and I know I should have done something about it but I never, Friday morning there was a big bang from the thing and now the fridge is not working well it’s not getting cold but the freezer is working fine? Also the alarm on the fridge is not going off? I tried to phone Hotpoint on Friday but after 20 min on hold I gave up.
The fridge is about 4 years old and I know its covered for parts for 5 years but I still have to pay of labour but I just can’t get through to them o800 numbers are not free on virgin so it’s costing a bit to try get them.
My wife is getting ready now and I’m missing the charity shield to go and look at new fridge freezers what a way to spend a Sunday afternoon now I’m not buying anything till I have at least had someone in to have a look at it. I’m convinced that it is something easily fixed (hope) rather than have to get a new one. I pulled it out and there is a little tank at the bottom of the fridge and I think that this is where the cooling fluid should be but it looks empty to me. Pissed off now need to get this sorted out tomorrow or order a new one.

What model is it?

On certain models the evap thermistor can go out of spec. That causes the fridge to fail but freezer is fine. It happened on mine, the part was about 15 quid.

Its also possible that the pipe up to the freezer is frozen solid. A defrost will fix it if this is the case. (these frost free really mean hidden frost, they can ice up like **** behind the panels lol..)

What model is it?

On certain models the evap thermistor can go out of spec. That causes the fridge to fail but freezer is fine. It happened on mine, the part was about 15 quid.

Its also possible that the pipe up to the freezer is frozen solid. A defrost will fix it if this is the case. (these frost free really mean hidden frost, they can ice up like **** behind the panels lol..)
it's a hotpoint ffa67 model mate, im going to switch it off for a hour or so like carlos said and see how i get on???

try turning it off at the socket for an hour m8 and turn it back on.
going to give it a go nothing to lose, thanks.

It will need longer than an hour to defrost if that is the problem. See if you can leave it off overnight with the doors open (are there any neighbours who can keep your frozen stuff frozen for you).

edit: Just been looking to see if that model uses the same shitty yellow thermistor to control the fan. I can't find out for sure, but it looks like its not the same.

I would just go for the defrost and hope its just ice blocking the fan from spinning, or inside the tube to the fridge.

Last edited:
Back