Acronis and Automatic Back up Software ? Which one do you use?

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Morning,

OK, Acronis saved my ass the other day when I had a HDD failed and I managed to get an image made and a rescue disk made, changed HDD and wallah main rig back to the way it was.

I downloaded and run the free one that they offer, you have to have a western digital HDD So I was lucky as I had a USB one that worked fine, so the program checks for this type of HDD before it'll let you install. not a problem I've went around the lab and backed up all six machines that I have here now and have an image all stored on the usb drive should the worst happen. (call me paranoid..lol)

So, I've been reading into some of the ones that people have managed to get there hands on and some say that they are not working when it comes to a restore, I'm thinking every six month or so I could wander around and make backups etc but I'd like an automated program that would offer this for me, was thinking norton ghost but really liking "acronis"

Any one vouch for a version that does automatic backups?

I see the latest version seems to have a cloud storage which is not what I want. (I do have a complete back up off site)

So something automated would be great, I can store a 500 gig spare drive on one of them for all backups to be stored on that drive alone....

Last edited:
Ghost does automated backups you can set it to do scheduled full, incremental or differential.

It is a hell of a bloatware product though, like all Norton products nowadays not like the old days Ghost on 2 floppies, there are issues depending on the software you run as ghost needs exclusivity to be able to backup. Many folk have problems with databases and the like if you doing the backups on the fly.

Are you backing up o/s and programs or Data ?

i setup all my systems with c: o/s d: programs e: data it makes it so much easier when you come to do backups.

i use offline backup active@DriveImage part of their bootdisk product Active@ Boot Disk - LSoft Technologies the o/s and programs dont take too long to backup as they really are not that big, i backup like you to an external usb hdd i move about. The data i backup separately on the fly mostly to file server first and from there off to external drives.

Back