A question about Volts and Amps and fish...

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
If a powerpack/PSU is rated at 19v 4.5amp does that mean that it will constantly supply 19volts but the amperage can vary to a maximum of 4.5 amps? so it could run at 19v 1amp or 19v 2amp if the device needed this level of current?

This thread doesn't actually have a fish, but I don't want to break rules so here is a fish....

If a powerpack/PSU is rated at 19v 4.5amp does that mean that it will constantly supply 19volts but the amperage can vary to a maximum of 4.5 amps? so it could run at 19v 1amp or 19v 2amp if the device needed this level of current?

This thread doesn't actually have a fish, but I don't want to break rules so here is a fish....

Thats correct m8 the amps are whats demanded and the rating is the max output. If you put a load of a higher amperage then it will blow the supply fuse

Thanks mate.

I was worried as i bought my daughter a 19v powerpack for her laptop, her laptop needs 3.42amps but the powerpack is rated at about 4.5amp, I was scared incase i was feeding too much current into her machine.

Back