A few Channels arent Clearing properly.

Bluemotion

Inactive User
Reaction score
Well recently my 500c cant clear the channels correctly,
theres usually no picture (a black screen) and a few artefacts appearing at the top,
and also i was looking at the stream properties and i dont actually know what each statistic means:
like,

BER - i havent a clue
SNR - Signal to noise ratio (i assume Higher is better?)
SIG - Maybe signal strength, i dunno
BIT - and i assume this is bitrate,i guess mpeg2 streams are usually 2000-3000kbps but on the troublesome channels they are extremely low (300kbps)

i also noticed by looking in the services file the troublesome channels are confined to a couple of transponders, afew weeks ago i had no problems at all.

does this have something to do with a weak signal?
Ive seen that 'yellow brick' booster apparently does a good job?

Any help is Much Appreciatted.
Thanks, BLUE :eatarrow:

Hi M8,
Pretty new to this but i'm sure if your Signal to Noise Ratio is less than 90% you probably need a booster. The yellow brick is pretty good, i know a lot of people complain about the price but if your using a modem as well it allows talk back so is good for that purpose.
I know my channels did not clear properly sometimes before i got a yellow brick booster.

You haven't mentioned WHAT signal measures you're getting??

That might help.

But as you got picture break up, it's got to be a signal strength issue which requires a booster of some sort.

You haven't mentioned WHAT signal measures you're getting??

Well ive just had a look at Sky action and the readings are as follows

BER 262143
SNR 53000-54000
SIG 28013

In stream information (neutrino) there seems to be a lack of Decimal places is the figures above.

Which channels are troublesome?

Mainly the Sky movies, though prem1hid premhid and the standard def sky mov seem to work fine but they are on another transponder.

I think a booster will sort you out dreambox 500c is known for weak signals ***

The cheap ones don't always do greatly, admittedly my SLX1 did bring me a few missing channels, but didn't stop the break up of SSports1.

If you willing to pay an extra £12 have a look at the excellent booster thread a bit lower. Money well spent i'd say.

Back