A decent OUTSIDE TV Aerial recommendation??

snapman

VIP Member
Staff member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if the good people of DW could point me in the right direction of the make of a decent roof mounted TV high gain aerial. I've been asked, but tbh I've no idea. I've had a look around, and was wondering if anyone has got, or has installed, one of these:

SLx 27895K4 4G Digidome Outdoor Aerial for Digital TV: Amazon.co.uk: TV

Thanks in advance,

snapman

If you need high gain then a directional (Yagi type) one would be better. Be suspicious of anything claiming to be digital aerial.

I've seen past the 'Digital aerial' @Spectre. Doesn't need to be high gain, as apparently the signal in the area is good. I looked at this one as it's profile is low, so less susceptible to high winds knocking it out of line.

I'll take a look at the Yagi one mate.

Thanks,

Me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen past the 'Digital aerial' @Spectre. Doesn't need to be high gain, as apparently the signal in the area is good. I looked at this one as it's profile is low, so less susceptible to high winds knocking it out of line.

I'll take a look at the Yagi one mate.

Thanks,

Me :)

Yagi are just the normal type :).

The Aerial Cable is probably more important than an expensive aerial and so you will need a WF100 good quality coax cable, have a read of this to see what I mean.
DTT cable - why WF100/CT100 is better than low-loss TV coax for digital signals
@D 8 RCS Had a look at the coax..... ancient!! Shielding almost destroyed and brittle. New cable first by the looks of it. Nipped round to the neighbours then nipped back and seen your post. Will look into your link mate once I get a beer down me :)

Thanks,

snapman :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yagi are just the normal type :).

Lol, have to be a shoite area where wet string doesn't get a decent signal! Is it fringe reception? Otherwise a reasonable digital aerial off the likes of Fleabay will be fine with new cable :)

Forget any High gain Aerial as most only supply around +3db compared to a standard one and using WF100/CT100 will not gain you anything unless your cable run is in excess of around 30m.

Look for something that has a Good Forward gain over anything else, The new Antiference RX12 LTE aerial is pretty cheap and if your in a Mid-Good signal area will do the job adequately its also 4G approved as are most aerials these days.

Lol, have to be a shoite area where wet string doesn't get a decent signal! Is it fringe reception? Otherwise a reasonable digital aerial off the likes of Fleabay will be fine with new cable :)

Digital aerial..... PMSL!!!

Oh ffs! Stop tekking the p*ss, you know as well as I do there's no bloody difference but the sales people always put 'digital' in the description. Them's newer ones and work better ;)

:Hit:

Forget any High gain Aerial as most only supply around +3db compared to a standard one and using WF100/CT100 will not gain you anything unless your cable run is in excess of around 30m.

Look for something that has a Good Forward gain over anything else, The new Antiference RX12 LTE aerial is pretty cheap and if your in a Mid-Good signal area will do the job adequately its also 4G approved as are most aerials these days.

Getting them a decent shielded quality cable.

Oh ffs! Stop tekking the p*ss, you know as well as I do there's no bloody difference but the sales people always put 'digital' in the description. Them's newer ones and work better ;)

:Hit:

Laugh but your on the right tracks as a lot of company's now benchmark aerials similar to the BS Kite rating either from the CAI or the RDI which the latter gives the so called 'Digital Tick' too and the CAI have a 3 rating benchmark, so a lot of advertisers throw the Digital Aerial bit in now to say which is benchmarked or not but i can still see the confusion for Joe public

I got a cheap 40 odd element arial from screwfix with a new pole when the winds over Christmas destroyed mine. With new decent cable, its been soooo much better, and everything came in under £40

I got a cheap 40 odd element arial from screwfix with a new pole when the winds over Christmas destroyed mine. With new decent cable, its been soooo much better, and everything came in under £40

got any links to the items you purchased?

If you prefer to support the smaller, more customer-orientated business over tax-dodging multi-nationals, Satcure is well worth a look. Good, honest advice (loads of useful info on their website) and their prices are pretty reasonable considering they do not sell cr*p.

Back