5402 HD Not Recognising WD Hard Drive

killdeer

Inactive User
Reaction score
Having read up as much as I can regarding the 'best' external hard drive for this STB, I'm really dsappointed to find that I'm having a problem with recognition of the drive, a Western Digital passport 500GB.

The box is patched and is on the latest one ie 127p. The very short USB cable is plugged directly into the box's USB port. I know the drive is getting power as its led is lit and I can hear a spinning noise.

When I use a flash drive instead, a Sandisk cruzer 4GB there's instant recognition.. Incidentally, a neighbour has the same setup as myself, using the same patch, and once again the HDD is not recognised. It begs the question, is this problem caused by this latest patch and is anyone else finding the same?

Thanks manic, Ill certainly give that a go.

I always thought that you could format the drive to fat32 using this STB itself ie Menu> USB> Disk Manager.

What an absolute idiot I am! I've gone and wiped the hard drive of my main computer by being careless and it looks as if everything's gone. Fortunately, I suppose, both my sons are sh*t hot on computers and hopefully can retrieve some of it.

One more thing besides the 'F**K UP', passport USB drives do not work well on Satellite receivers as they draw too much power which the receiver does not give.... It could be in yr case that It is not the harddrive but the power it needs ...
USb stick work well but not all brands(kingston ok, Patriot ok, sandisk gives troubles, Mtec gives troubles, ...)

When using an external USB drive I never had any problem using an extra external power.(USB HUB for example)
And also
like mentioned in this thread, FAT32 ! format. (and no extra partitions)

Been using 320gb WD Passport for years no problems.

@killdeer, sorry to hear about your mishap, hope you get sorted. There are tools to recover your lost info. Dont put anything else on Hard Drive until you try to recover.

Yeah I know, Some people reporting it works well but others have problems. So it must be something with power.
I have had some passport drives 80Gb - 120Gb(mostly hitachi or samsung) you know usb -mini -> normal USB, Always had trouble in activating them. but of course this could be of the poorly designed controller hardware. Everytime I used an external power source or USB switch with power it worked fine. (same HD drives)

What an absolute idiot I am! I've gone and wiped the hard drive of my main computer by being careless and it looks as if everything's gone. Fortunately, I suppose, both my sons are sh*t hot on computers and hopefully can retrieve some of it.

This may help and its free:- "Recuva". Dont put anymore on the Hard Disk until you try and recover it.

I have a WD Passport 500GB hard drive that was not recognised but now after your advice with fat32 all is well thanks

Firstly, thanks to all for your help and advice.

I'm pleased to say that it was only the boot sector that I'd wiped. All is now sorted with regard to my main computer.

The WD drive was formatted to FAT32 albeit wth some difficulty and is now working perfectly. There are plenty of suggestions online regarding as to how to overcome the 4GB file size limit but does anyone know if a new file will automatically be created when this limit is reached.

My understanding is that it will create individual files within the folder, I have just looked at the Olympics file that i recorded and total folder size was 16.9 gb ,split into 8x 2gb + .9 . This was recorded onto a wd USB powered 500gb drive

My understanding is that it will create individual files within the folder, I have just looked at the Olympics file that i recorded and total folder size was 16.9 gb ,split into 8x 2gb + .9 . This was recorded onto a wd USB powered 500gb drive

That is correct. TRP HD files are .99Gb numbered 01 ,02, 03 etc. If you just want to play on VLC etc on computer , fine. If you want to make one file , same quality, use AF7 merge your files. It is then playable by lots of Smart tv`s etc. Works fine for me!

Back