4x4 HDMI Matrix.....

Tried again yesterday using Ubuntu and still cant get it to work, had a bit of a Eureka moment last night with an idea for a crude workaround, just working on it now will post it if it works.......saying nothing if it doesnt haha

After a couple of hours of fiddling with permissions and testing I can now switch my matrix from my control page.......:Clap:

Bit of a crazy method and think it come to me in a moment of madness but hey it works and i'm happy :)

I have installed AutoHotKey and recorded macros that physically move the mouse cursor and click on the different buttons on the supplied software GUI.

Now all my PHP code contains is an exec() command to call the macro for the relevant switching command from the webpage.

Took me a lot of messing round with permissions on the Apache service and trying to use psexec to make it interactive with the current desktop before I realised it wouldn't work...........2 mins after removing the services and running Apache as a program it was up and running :)

The PC that it is going to be running on dual boots Win7 and OSX, only problem I have is that I need to still be able to use the PC at the same time and depending what I had on the screen would screw up the macros and I wouldnt be able to use my page when I booted into OSX either.

So my plan is to have this running on a Virtual Box which will auto start in the background when I boot into Windows or OSX and wont interfere with what i'm doing.

Glad you got it working mate.

Really pleased for you!!!

Mick

Nice one mate, rather pleased with myself :)

I Built an XP Virtual Box last night which is now running my webserver for the control page and the commands when clicking on the buttons on the page from my phone, got it installed as a service so you wouldnt know any different when booting up into windows and works a treat :)

Now I have just got to try and contain myself until the sale of my house goes through cos there are a million things I want to get started with !!!

I wasn't too bothered about surround sound but I would like some sort of external speakers in the living room connected to my PC so might aswell get something that does both..........been looking at the sound bars rather than the individual satelite speakers though as dont fancy having speakers dotted around everywhere (and dont think the misses will approve either haha)

I have installed Airserver on OSX which is unbelievably simple but so good, integrates with iDevices natively and has an app you can install for Android (doubletwist).

I like the idea of being able to browse all of the music on my phone (or anyone elses phone that happends to be in the house) and have it playing outloud in the living room instantly at the touch of a button or via the TV in any other room.

For the sound bars I have heard, the yamaha ones have always been the best... they are really good but that is just my preference.

Have you heard the new 7.1 headphones that are out... I could not believe how good they are!

I have sonos that is integrated with my iphone and android phones... press a button and it plays.

B&W ceiling speakers are excellent choices for surround... with a center speaker just below the TV.

Something that is really nice if you have the room is a decent AV amp with 5.1... 4 x B&W surrounds in ceiling, a B&W M11 for a center speaker, and a sonos connect... you could even run a decent grade stereo lead from your PC while you are decorating and have it play from the source on the AV amp.

We did a budget install like this about 2 months back and the client loved it (PS Onkyo NR808 for the amp).

It gives you everything and will integrate with your matrix amazingly.

Mick

As much as I would like them ceiling speakers are out of the question, I mentioned these to the misses when I started looking into what I was going to do and got a look that you wouldnt give your worst enemy !!! haha

I'm suprised I have got away with what I have so far to be honest :)

Think you have just made my mind up for me as had been umming and rrring over this anyway:

YAS-101 - Front Virtual Surround Systems - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

Actually looking at that it hasnt got a 3.5mm jack that I would like to use for my PC.

I should be able to pass the Optical out from my TV into it for the 2 DM800's and the PC when switched to the PC via the matrix but I would like the option to use it without the TV on or have the TV on with sound from the PC if I need it (English Radio Commentry for the 3pm kick offs)

Hmmmm decisions decisions.........haha

Well from reading up that last post was a bit of a schoolboy error :Dunce:

Need to do some more reading as have never really looked at audio solutions before.

Some things are never easy are they haha

No mate, and one piece of advice is even when you have chosen your system, go over it again as well as what you want it to do before you pick out everything and put it in.

You have a great advantage and that is time, you can dream about it a little lol... not to much.

make sure you run ample cables, I cannot stress this enough, if you want 3 cat6 then run 4/5, if you want 1 coax, run 2.

Do not forget to run the subwoofer (RCA) cable to where it has to go, do not school boy error this and run speaker cable, run a cat6 with it too as if that cable fails you can balun phono with 1 cat6 easy :) and very CHEAP too lol.

I do bang on about running extra cables, and that is because I have seen it so many times, EVEN this week with one client that SAID and stressed she would only have freeview in the living room!!! I told her 2 coax she said one, it saved her 70 pounds at the time, now its costing her 300 :eek: ... now she wants to put a sky box in a cupboard and we have to run a cable outside the building... see what i mean lol. Also future proofing is important, how does anyone know what the next person that lives in the house wants.

Mick

Last edited:
Back