4 Homeplugs how to connect?

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought another set of homeplugs but these are the 200mbps but I would also like to use my old 85mbps ones too. How do I go about it? Would I have two connected to my router because at the moment I got one plugged into my router upstairs and the other in my PS3 downstairs when I try plugging the other one the powerline light doesnt come on?

Can you only use them in pairs? Btw they are the advent homeplugs if that makes any difference.

You can use more than 2 in your setup, however I dont think you can use differnet speed plugs. You're probably better off selling them for cash and getting some more 200 mb ones.

You can use more than 2 in your setup, however I dont think you can use differnet speed plugs. You're probably better off selling them for cash and getting some more 200 mb ones.

Nope cannot use 85mbps and 200mbps on the same mains ring. Something to do with the waveform is different for each type?!?

Thats a shame! In that case I have two for sale lol

I will list shortly in sales in trade section. Mine are practically brand new boxed etc.

Yes you can use homeplugs of different speeds together they are backwards compatible!

Just make sure the one with the highest speed eg 200mbps are connected to your router.

Ofc your 85mbps ones wont go any faster but 85mbps is more than enough anyway seeing as most pc ports unless the new gigabit lan only allow 10/100 mbps anyway.

Yes you can use homeplugs of different speeds together they are backwards compatible!

Just make sure the one with the highest speed eg 200mbps are connected to your router.

Ofc your 85mbps ones wont go any faster but 85mbps is more than enough anyway seeing as most pc ports unless the new gigabit lan only allow 10/100 mbps anyway.

so will different makes work together? i also didnt think they would work
together

so will different makes work together? i also didnt think they would work
together

some will some wont have a read here.

http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/faqs.html

And i was wrong you can use 14mbps and 85mbps together but not 200mbps with either because they use different technology but i would still try before you sell em. If they deffo dont work sorry for the misinformation.

Last edited:
Been trying them and no joy, I got my 200mbps ones connected to my router upstairs and to a 5 port switch downstairs which connects my xbox360, ps3 and dreambox.

When I plug the 85mbps ones in the power and ethernet light come on but the powerline doesnt.

Before I list this for sale anyone know how much the the ADE-85MKIT is worth?

Been trying them and no joy, I got my 200mbps ones connected to my router upstairs and to a 5 port switch downstairs which connects my xbox360, ps3 and dreambox.

When I plug the 85mbps ones in the power and ethernet light come on but the powerline doesnt.

Before I list this for sale anyone know how much the the ADE-85MKIT is worth?

Do you have more than one ring main in your house m8? if you do you could have 2 networks.

I havent a clue about the electrics but I think I know what you mean... Basically if some sockets are on another ring then it wont work right?

I havent a clue about the electrics but I think I know what you mean... Basically if some sockets are on another ring then it wont work right?

yeah but what i mean is you could have one ring main running 200mbps network and the other running 85mbps.

Not all houses have more than one though i know mine doesnt.. well i dont think it does lol.

check ure consumer unit,if you have more than one 30/32amp fuse/breaker then ure likely to have more than one ring main, flick one off them to off position and check ure sockets to see which ones are live - if ure lucky enough to have seperate ring main for each floor as well as kitchen then you can use ure network plugs as suggested by Sergie

yeah but what i mean is you could have one ring main running 200mbps network and the other running 85mbps.

Not all houses have more than one though i know mine doesnt.. well i dont think it does lol.

You can use 1 ring main with both the 85 and 200 systems simultaneously. Obviously they would not talk to each other but they can happily co exist.

Back