3D for PS3 in June?

Highlander

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Sony's PlayStation 3 could be 3D ready as soon as this June, with reports suggesting a firmware update coinciding with the release of Sony's first 3D TV will enable the console to output in 3D.

PlayStation 3's capacity to support 3D gaming has already been touted with playable versions of Gran Turismo and Super Stardust on show at this year's CES. Now as Sony prepares to seriously enter the 3D space with the launch of its first 3D TV in Japan on June 10 it looks as if the PlayStation 3 will be following suit.

Leaked shots of Firmware 3.20 reveal it's to offer 3D Video Output, and now a report on AV Watch – translated by NeoGAF and picked up by vg247 – dates its release for this June, the same date as the release of Sony's 350,000 yen 46 inch 3D TV.

Sony declined to offer any comment on the story.

source: 3D for PS3 in June? - PS3 News at IGN

it will be good when they come out with the 3D ,specially for some of the shooting games.

i wont be getting a 3Dtv yet though , think im gonna wait till next year when it will be cheaper and hopefully get a full 3D tv instead of 3Dready

bfg

Apparently the 3D implementation on PS3 isn't that hot though right now, according to some people who've tried it on Killzone 3 they've said you actually lose detail when playing the game in 3D on PS3 due to the game having to scale down the detail....so for example a 1080p game would be downed to 720p in 3D mode etc...but how noticeable this is in the real world I don't know yet. And Killzone is the cream of the crop for console fps graphics anyway as it's uber detailed. I expect it'll not be a problem either way as the 3D tech will mature as will the games that support it.

good point m8 never thought of that, that it would actually have downscale it!!!!

buy the end of next year though it should hpoefully all be up and running properly with loads of games
even though i think most of them will have something to do with the new ps3 move (?) controller thingy !
bfg

dnt know why it posted it twice ,so just deleted it

Last edited:
Dunno about anyone else but i'd rather cross game chat than 3d :(

Dunno about anyone else but i'd rather cross game chat than 3d :(

lol not that old chestnut lol.

yeah i think a lot of ppl would like to see that but if i remember right there was summit posted about an big game developer (EA) whos games are coded soo poorly they wont do it or summit dunno if you seen it m8 but it was on here am sure of it.

Theirs talks on serveral interweb sites saying it may come but it will be subscription service (N)

haha sorry about bring it up, but i mean honstally i dont have a 3D tv and probbley wont have one until they are about the 500 quid mark, im sure their are loads of people in the same boat just thing they should improve it for all customers and not just the odd few who will have the benfits of 3D HD TV!

I heard the opposite about CGC (cross game chat) in that basically it's on the to-do list and when it does finally arrive apparently it's not going to be a part of the PSN Premium service and that feature will remain free to use for everybody as will online play in it's shall we say current state - which if that turns out to be true raises 2 questions - 1) when is this happening and 2) what are Sony going to do to make it a worthwhile thing if both online play and cgc are freely available ? I have no idea but whatever it is if it's something XBL hasn't got or hasn't done then it's only a good thing. Otherwise it'll be a fail in my view if they keep things as planned since I wouldn't think too many would opt in for it. They'll need some kind of big pull for the service to hook people in and what we currently know about the service in terms of what's remaining free and what the service entails frankly isn't all that great - though I'm betting there's 1 or 2 big things at E3 announced regarding this service....as for 3D it'll basically be just like HDTV it'll mature, prices will come down, then it will start to become somewhat mainstream. So slow burner lol.

Back