360 drive not playing backups or originals

cheesey

Member ++
Reaction score
Gave my 360 to a 'mate' to tweak the firmware to 1.51 and he said he couldnt do it as jungle flasher didnt recognise his sata board. I have just plugged it in and it now doesn't play anything.

I have to assume he has done something to the firmware and I've checked all the cables and they seem fine.

Any ideas why it just comes up with 'Place this dvd in an xbox 360' message?

Cheesey

Gave my 360 to a 'mate' to tweak the firmware to 1.51 and he said he couldnt do it as jungle flasher didnt recognise his sata board. I have just plugged it in and it now doesn't play anything.

I have to assume he has done something to the firmware and I've checked all the cables and they seem fine.

Any ideas why it just comes up with 'Place this dvd in an xbox 360' message?

Cheesey
to boot a game original or back up the dvd key has to be correct for the motherboard , he has either flashed a blank key in your firmware or erased the drive , if you havent got a record of the key or a copy of the original firmware then you are fooked as they is no way to retreive it from the motherboard sorry.

It was working before the "mate" worked on it?

My reaction would be "WTF have ya done to it" to him or her to be honest. Its the only way yer gonna know. No point in him telling porkies if he's attempted and failed as you will get no-where quick without a starting point.

I bought a second hand 360 off e-bay the other day and when it arrived it had that same error.

"to play this disk please insert into an xbox 360 console"

The guy has asked me to send it back as it was working when he sent it. Dont beleive him for a second though, its going to cost me 20 odd quid to send it back, do you think it is worth just buying another drive and flashing the keys over or are they more than likely to be invalid ??

I have read in other places that this error can be caused by wear and tear of the drive ?

I bought a second hand 360 off e-bay the other day and when it arrived it had that same error.

"to play this disk please insert into an xbox 360 console"

The guy has asked me to send it back as it was working when he sent it. Dont beleive him for a second though, its going to cost me 20 odd quid to send it back, do you think it is worth just buying another drive and flashing the keys over or are they more than likely to be invalid ??

I have read in other places that this error can be caused by wear and tear of the drive ?

sounds like a laser .. wot makes the drive ?
samsung-hitachi-benq_s400.jpg

If you're mate charged you for flashing you're drive he should replace it with a new 360, if he did it for free then maybe not its not worth falling out over.I always charge a small fee so if one does brick then i have the cash to cover the replacement and if its just an update only a few quid because you already have the key so its just a drive replacement if i screw up and if i do it for free then there's no cover.I think thats the only fair way of looking at it.

sounds like a laser .. wot makes the drive ?
samsung-hitachi-benq_s400.jpg

I havent had a chance to look at it yet been mad busy, my nephew said he has tried a few games on it and the drawer just keeps opening all the time when you try to close it. When it does actually close it either comes up with that put this disk in a 360 console error or makes a sound like it is going to boot and then stalls and says this disk cannot be read take it out wipe it ect ect......

Do you think its more of a drive fault rather than wrong keys ??

Think i'm just going to get a drive off e-bay and swap it out, save the hassle of sending it back for him to say I have done something to it, then I haven't got a xbox or a refund !!!

Tell you what i'm not having much luck lately with things not turning up and turning up broke.....

sounds like it in mode b . if he click eject twice does it stay closed then

I havent had a chance to look at it yet been mad busy, my nephew said he has tried a few games on it and the drawer just keeps opening all the time when you try to close it. When it does actually close it either comes up with that put this disk in a 360 console error or makes a sound like it is going to boot and then stalls and says this disk cannot be read take it out wipe it ect ect......

those are symptoms of the 232 points being burnt with a soldering iron. have a look :)

pull the face plate off and look at the two wires thru the hole to the right of the drive, i bet they're yellow.

Last edited:
this is why guys and girls who do not have the experiance and the equipment to so this type of soldering shouldn`t do this.
leave it to the people who can or just use the probe

I'll make sure I have a look tonight and post the results......

If it is the 2 points burnt though and he has just tried to palm me off with it think I may be making a personal visit to this fellas house even if it is a couple of hours drive, he sold it as fully working which it blatently isn't, cant be doing with people trying to rip me off :)

this is why guys and girls who do not have the experiance and the equipment to so this type of soldering shouldn`t do this.
leave it to the people who can or just use the probe

no need to solder really, even a no0b can use the probe or a screwdriver. Smirnoffs done one ;p

I'll make sure I have a look tonight and post the results......

If it is the 2 points burnt though and he has just tried to palm me off with it think I may be making a personal visit to this fellas house even if it is a couple of hours drive, he sold it as fully working which it blatently isn't, cant be doing with people trying to rip me off :)

i dont know but, if it comes down to it you might still be able to get the key? i dont know if/how liteons take factory mode on when they're like that (so u can use the probe to get key as the hole is probs still there, the two solder points are just above it).

it might not even be a liteon lol. good luck

:Smokin:

The problem lies with eject status for retrieving key.

After having a mess around last night I managed to get the only original game I could get my hands on Fifa '06 to boot to the intro screen before getting the "please clean disk ect" error by holding "a" when closing the drive (only way it would stay in !!!) so I took it that keys were ok.

Stripped it down and it was a ms25, flashed 1.51 with JF (first time doing a sammy in windows, I was impressed !!!). I had a fiddle with the board on the drive itself and it seems to be booting 9 times out of 10 now so I was reasonably happy and may owe the guy an apology as it appears that he could be genuine and the fault occurred in transit.

Might still swap the drive out though anyway cos it is defo on its way out !!!

:)

Last edited:
Back