2nd Workgroup Switch

redwolf

Inactive User
Reaction score
I want to add a 2nd switch into my network, can I do this by just connecting it to my 1st via a crossover cable? :err: As the 1st switch is connected to the router via the uplink connection.

I understand that there may be a slowing down of the connection, but, it is only for connecting a NAS drive and set top box, and in the future - my daughters PC, and a PS3.

You can just connect it via a regular cable to any of the ports and it will work.

Have you considered just buying a larger switch? You can pick up 24 port ones from old business networks from ebay quite cheaply. I picked up a 3com 100/10 ethernet switch for £20 a few years ago, is much better than any consumer equivalent from PC World etc.

Thanks again karym6.

I already have an ethernet cable running outside the house from my PC to behind the TV in the front room from when I used to utilise my old NTL set top box modem. So by adding a switch there, it will mean no more cabling is necessary. It's a plan for after christmas though.

Definitelty worth looking for a used branded switch of ebay, I managed to get hold of a 24 port HP procurve managed switch with 2 x 100 meg fibre moduiles. OK in a home environment im never going to use the fibre modules or most of the featureset, but HP Procurve gear has lifetime warranty and the switch is managable supports RSTP, 802.1q VLAN tagging, CDP, LLDP etc etc....
For 45 quid cant go wrong.... the fibre modules are worth at least twice that each on their own. Most modern switches have Auto MDIX ports so it doesnt matter whether you use a straight through or cross-over ethernet cable.
Only downside of business class 24 port switches for home use is that they are designed to be installed in comms cabs and hence usually have at least one fan whch can be quite noisy ...

Last edited:
Back