200 - nearly finished - what am I doing wrong? (clone own modem to resolve?)

Midnight Tboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi there,

thought best to start a new thread as the older one isnt relevant to the topic I' m looking at now

ok....so the other day I received my ambit 200, and flashed it using the New Ambit 200 2008 Guide. It all appeared to go perfectly fine. What I did not do at that stage however was give it a new mac, as I had none to try and was just working out which mac ubrs etc I could use..I could get onto the 1337 page however with seemingly no issues

Anyhow, I've now started trying to get a mac working on it with no success thus far.

I used dhcp sniffer to find a bunch of macs for my area, however after the lack of success, I thought I would try cloning my subbed modem..purely for the sake of testing out to make sure its not wrong macs I was trying.

I was told that it is ok to change to new macs simply by going to the 1337 page.

I connected the hacked box (obv without cable to net attached), connected to the 1337 page.

I then typed in my tftip which is 62.254.64.23, typed in my correct subbbed config (the cmreg-ntlhm200-mid.cm file), and also my mac address. I also typed in the serial number of my own modem (which I got from the modem page of orig modem but changed the last 3 numbers). I pressed change after each of these steps and made sure it stored correctly. I also set my own random password for telnet (I presume it could be a custom one and didnt have to be "haynes-live-modems" as per the guide?

Unplugged the modem, then connected the live feed and plugged in

After a few secs got the connected message, but when I typed in ipconfig I noticed there is no gateway set (which I noticed when using subbed modem first gets set to a 192.168 address before updating to a proper gateway). I tried leaving it for a few mins in the hope it perhaps would resolve the ip like subbed box but doing nothing.

anyone any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong or need to check? tcp/ip is set to auto determine ip etc and not static?

Obv too my subbed modem is left turned off while trrying the cloned one

hope you can help, am so close yet so far and was hoping to get this finished by tonight as back at work tmw from time off on paternity leave :(

just remembered to add - when box powers up only lights that come on are the power light and the rdy light if that is of any help

Last edited:
go to 192.168.100.1 and copy and post everything on the status page

hello again :) thanks for quick reply.....just bouncing back and forth between the modems now. Thought I would try running the ambit config tool again and setting it all from there seeing as at that partic time had no mac to use.

Although I've only just read the message, I noted "some" of the stuff down, ie the bit that seems to pertain - so hopefuly this will help.

the only main thing said on the main page when connect to 192.168.100.1 is the top box which says

Acquire Downstream Channel In Progress

rest of the rows on that page were basically blank - apart from a lower line saying along lines of "offline" or "not connected" - presumably which would change when get it locked.

On the log page however there are many entries.....all of which seem to be a loop of the same message (but obv with a diff timestamp)

1970-01-01 00:02:33 3-Critical 0x0501BDC8 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing

1970-01-01 00:02:28 3-Critical 0x0501BD64 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing

1970-01-01 00:02:28 3-Critical 0x0501BDC8 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing

1970-01-01 00:02:10 3-Critical 0x0501BD64 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol

hope that can give a clue to cause.

many thanks for tryin to help once more

ur not locking... annex is not set!!! r u selecting pure ntl, sigma x 1.28 and on the left hand side is cm_annex 3 box has a tick??? if yes to these need to do it manually... do this in hyperterminal

cd /non-vol/halif
cm_tuner 14
annex_a
cm_annex 3
cd ../docsis
ds_frequency 402750000

cd /non-vol/docsis
enable bpi false
write

yay!!!! you're a star.

yes they were all checked (well actually the annex c wasn't - but even when then tried checking it it still didnt work)...but running them commands worked a treat.

Now just tried a found 20mb script and it's all working sweet :D:D:D (tho broadband speed test site reporting about 10mb but know they tend to fluctuate).

Am so glad for your help, owe you a pint and meal (on 2 for 1 of course lol) if ever passing this way.

now to tinker, and get this tip tidied up :)

cheers

another new question for you if that is ok :)

Everything is all set up and running great. I have main pc based upstairs receiving the wifi signal from a TP-Link 108m router which is downstairs. Up until a week ago it was hardwired in, but moved it downstairs as got the wifi router for the newly bought laptop, and also we have an xbox1 that sits downstairs which we stream movies from the main pc to, so by having it that way it means no more cable to trip neck over running length of staircase.

I've just done a speed test using newsgroups, and it seems to hop between about 1000k/sec and 1400k/sec - with a 1600peak for a few moments. But average I'd guesstimate about 1100-1200. Of course its better than the 4mb I had, but its always good to optimise :) I'll have to look at what else to get optimised shortly setting wise, such as max open ports and such.

Anyways the question.

Now that I have my 20mb set up, obv my 4mb (soon to be dropped to 2) subbed box is sitting there unused.

Is it physically possible to have 2 different modems running in the same house? (Aswell as a cable box would be running too of course). My thinking being, that could perhaps put the 20mb hardwired back upstairs again, and maybe set up the 2mb on the wifi downstairs, which would be useful for checking VM mails etc as I heard its not recommended to login to anything VM related that could ID you :) That way I'd benefit from extra speed hardwired to main pc, and laptop would manage perfectly well running a 2mb on her own,

cheers again :)

Anyways the question.

Now that I have my 20mb set up, obv my 4mb (soon to be dropped to 2) subbed box is sitting there unused.

Is it physically possible to have 2 different modems running in the same house? (Aswell as a cable box would be running too of course). My thinking being, that could perhaps put the 20mb hardwired back upstairs again, and maybe set up the 2mb on the wifi downstairs, which would be useful for checking VM mails etc as I heard its not recommended to login to anything VM related that could ID you :) That way I'd benefit from extra speed hardwired to main pc, and laptop would manage perfectly well running a 2mb on her own,

cheers again :)
glad ur all up and running!!! i got 4 on the on my on my line that i use but strickly for f/w testing plus my v+ and with absolutely no loss in power level but i have notice my electric bill is qiute high though lol... so running 2 should be any problem what so ever...

Hi Gentlex,

thanks again for the reply.

Another problem sounds like it may have reared its ugly little head.

I'm at work at the moment, however my other half just called and said she couldnt get the net on her laptop.

I asked her to connect to the main pc upstairs that I knew was working last night. She said there is no net on there, so it sounds like Virgin have possibly already detected and stopped this mac I had from working??

They aren't normally this quick on the ball are they? The mac I'd found was the only bund03 cfg file using dhcp sniffer, the rest were mid configs.

I hope that its just a case of this time I should just choose another MAC that was found and force config this time?

I made sure that telnet update and firmware update were disabled as per the ambit 2008 200 guide (not got it to hand to tell ya exactly which 2 they were). Is there any chance that VM may have forced a new update on this box and bricked it now, or is it more likely that they have just shut off the particular mac account I was using?

Hopefully the latter, as I was so chuffed when finally got that working and its lasted less than 12 hrs :(

Any easy way to check

cheers,
Tuck

Other than getting your missus to read out the modem status page to you I cant think of much.

However Id be checking it out when you get in, try not forcing the config and see if it works. I dont know what the status of the encrypted configs are but I assume eventually all areas will be rolled out. If it works after that its just a case of trying to find 20 meg configs. If you can leave your MAC sniffer running for as long as possible, some people will leave there modem and router off while they are out. Unlike people like me and gentlex who clone because our leccy bill puts bandwidth costs out the windows :p

But yeh you should do a bit of reading into DUAL WAN Routers, they can negotiate 2 or more internet connections through one router so you can utilise all bandwidth available. Although I read somewhere that most ubrs will max out after a few.

Oh yeh and changing the telnet pass to something of your own is clever. It wouldnt be hard for CC to get their hands on the tuts we use and use the passwords mentioned in it to brick peoples modems.

So good on ya, its always wise to take a mod and alter it just a bit so that your mod is more unique and stands a lesser chance of standing out as a clone, the same principle comes into effect with digital TV especially in dealing with MOSCS.

EDIT: just re-read your post about 2 modems, yeh that would be even easier and more beneficial to run them seperately, as you said using the subbed to check mail etc. You could also set PC to join the LAN with the laptop just set IP maually and dont put anything in the "default gateway" field

That way when you type lappy IP you get lappy, but when you type google the PC knows it cant query the LAN so it has to query the modem :)

Last edited:
it could also be a signal problem where the modem as drop signal and need a reboot to get going again so u should ask ur missus to reboot the modem and see if it comes back on... also if ur using a router that might the problem too as some router tense to loose connection once or twice a especially if a linksy 54g... so u might need to reboot it also.

Oooh yeh gentlex just reminded me, last week in my area the first DNS server was down and my router refused to use the secondary, So I had to manually insert the secondary DNS server.

A good way of checking this is, If you missus cant get on google then ... Start \ Run "cmd" for a dos prompt.

"ping www.google.co.uk" should couldnt find host. Then try
"ping 64.233.183.147" thats googles IP, if that says "reply from 64.233.183.147 - blah blah" then its definitely a DNS issue.

EDIT: and I should've said to fix this ... send her into router page and get her to add the 2nd DNS server in manually.

There is a page somewhere on the router to tell you what IP settings it has, under DNS there are 2.
She should copy the 2nd one and then go to the page where you can manually set IP, just add that DNS she copied and put it into the first box.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice. Havent' actually read it fully yet as meant to be hard at work :).

My other half isnt too competent with pcs but off home anyway shortly...so I'll print this off now while at work and try each just in case cant get net back at home for some reason even on the subbed - obv I was gonna reboot etc but in our Billingham area is quite rare that we have network problems with VM. Am hoping its something simple like, but I'll sharp find out in an hour or two time :)

hope to speak to yas in a few hrs :)

Tuck

quick question hope to get a reply for before leave the office :)

Is it possible to communicate with the modem box directly when its going through the router?

As before I was having to mess about hardwiring it to the laptop to eliminate the source of the problems at first, and obv then it assigned the direct ip of 192.168.100.1 (I believe it was)...whereas with router I get 192.168.1.1 for the router but not sure what I would put to connect to the modem past the router.

Oh, quickly too....the orig mac address I did find, was a genuine mac with bund03 config. (well unless the one I found in itself was a clone forced :))

Is it possible to communicate with the modem box directly when its going through the router?

As before I was having to mess about hardwiring it to the laptop to eliminate the source of the problems at first, and obv then it assigned the direct ip of 192.168.100.1 (I believe it was)...whereas with router I get 192.168.1.1 for the router but not sure what I would put to connect to the modem past the router.

Oh, quickly too....the orig mac address I did find, was a genuine mac with bund03 config. (well unless the one I found in itself was a clone forced :))
u should be able to check the status page on the modem through the router!!! and since ur comfirming ur using a router i have a feelin it might just be a router problem and just needs a simple router reboot is need...

right - am back from work now :)

Tried the obv quick reboot and nothing - thought rather than see if router at fault plugged it directly into NIC on laptop

There def seems to be some problem.

The front status page on model says the following --

Acquire Downstream Channel Done
Obtain Upstream Parameters Done
Upstream Ranging Done
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP Done
Establish Time Of Day Done
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP
Register Connection
Cable Modem Status Offline
Initialize Baseline Privacy

On the log page, other than the older ones before freq got locked I now have these ones :-

2008-03-27 17:40:15 3-Critical 0x045A8148 TLV-11 - Illegal Set operation failed
1970-01-01 00:00:14 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2008-03-27 17:36:05 3-Critical 0x045A8148 TLV-11 - Illegal Set operation failed
2008-03-27 17:34:57 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2008-03-27 17:34:45 3-Critical 0x0501BD64 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
2008-03-27 17:34:22 3-Critical 0x0501BDC8 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing

Does that mean anything to you? I tried changing a mac to a light config mac that I'd found too on offchance it was the mac but that seems to get same.

cheers,
Tuck

if its of any use....

While waiting, I just tried running dhcp sniffer.
Now it does seem to be a lot slower running and finding things at this current moment, however I noticed the gateway is giving 62.254.64.22 now.

So I've just checked my network status page, and sure enough at the moment on my subbed line I'm getting 64.22. (yesterday I was on 64.23 for definate). Could this be the problem? That somehow and some reason VM have changed my main gateway or is this normal practice for them? You think if I go to the 1337 and change the 23 for a 22 it should work?

right - am back from work now :)

Tried the obv quick reboot and nothing - thought rather than see if router at fault plugged it directly into NIC on laptop

There def seems to be some problem.

The front status page on model says the following --

Upstream Ranging Done
Register Connection

On the log page, other than the older ones before freq got locked I now have these ones :-

2008-03-27 17:40:15 3-Critical 0x045A8148 TLV-11 - Illegal Set operation failed
1970-01-01 00:00:14 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2008-03-27 17:36:05 3-Critical 0x045A8148 TLV-11 - Illegal Set operation failed
2008-03-27 17:34:57 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2008-03-27 17:34:45 3-Critical 0x0501BD64 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
2008-03-27 17:34:22 3-Critical 0x0501BDC8 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing

Does that mean anything to you? I tried changing a mac to a light config mac that I'd found too on offchance it was the mac but that seems to get same.

cheers,
Tuck
bpi m8, it needs to be disable... just loging to hyperterminal and stop the scan with this
cd /cm_hal
scan_stop

then press enter then do this

cd /non-vol/docsis
enable bpi false
write

then press enter and reboot

tftp ip is fine it will work on 22 or 23

hmmm thats odd, I did those for definate in the steps you gave my yesterday which allowed it to lock.

I'll have to pull it to bits now and try again :)

Could it be......I did what u said, when trying to clone my own box...which worked

Then when I changed to a new mac, using the 1337 page...is there any chance it could have lost that setting and need redoing each time change something?

right - off to find where I put that max232 now :)

cheers

just tried what you suggested and getting exactly the same :(

made sure to type verbatim what you put....especially helpful this time round knowing that scan_stop command so able to type without it giving line after line of trying to lock to freq.

Again my results were

2008-03-27 18:40:20 3-Critical 0x045A8148 TLV-11 - Illegal Set operation failed
1970-01-01 00:00:13 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in

response.
2008-03-27 18:38:55 3-Critical 0x045A8148 TLV-11 - Illegal Set operation failed
1970-01-01 00:00:12 3-Critical 0x040D9A2C DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in

response.

Upstream Ranging Done
Register Connection

hope you have some more ideas to try :) stressing me out now - got a dreambox to config and install after this :p

Back