2 Problems with remote desktop

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi

i am using remote desktop in a win2003 domain, the two machines host and remote are both win7 pro

first problem is i can see and browse a dvd/cd on the remote pc but i cant see the cd/dvd drive in Nero 7

second if the remote pc goes into sleep i cant wake it with remote desktop, in bios i have wake on lan enabled and in the driver for the nvidia network card in win7 wake on lan is enabled, but remote desktop just don't do the business.

atm its not a problem as both machines are in my study but soon the machine i remote onto is going upstairs and it will be a ball ache to have to run upstairs :)

any pointers ?

or should i just go back to netsupport manager ?

To wake a pc it uses something called magic packets i think which RDP doesn't support.
check this page from Nero to see if this can help h**p://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showtopic=6719

Just thought, you could try using vnc instead of rdp as this may work better for your nero problem.

Last edited:
its a shame that ms add into their os many utils and apps that other software vendors write, but they never quite get it right or as good as the independent software houses.

remote desktop, defrag, partition/disk imaging, media player, uninstaller, snipping tool to name just a few.

Thanks both, when i was purely xp i had network support manager running this would start up a machine that was powered off, but i will give vnc a look as its lite in size i seem to remember (not used for years) i didnt setup what i used so may come back for help :)

vnc is server client and server goes on machine you want to control ? yes/no

Back