17000 out of 63000 thats not right!

siross

Inactive User
Reaction score
Im not surprised Liverpool arent happy i think thats disgusting to the fans

Liverpool fans leader Les Lawson has criticised both the club and UEFA over the ticket allocation for the Champions League final.

Liverpool and AC Milan have both been allocated almost 17,000 tickets each for the 63,000-capacity Olympic Stadium in Athens for the May 23 showpiece.

UEFA have kept 20,000 tickets for their own distribution while 9,000 were held for a UEFA ballot.

Liverpool, and the other teams in the last four, were made aware of the allocation ahead of the semi-final second legs. Liverpool asked for more the day after their side beat Chelsea, but were turned down.

Two seasons ago Liverpool received 20,000 tickets for the 75,000-capacity Ataturk stadium in Istanbul for the final, and it was estimated that 40,000 Reds fans finally got their hands on tickets.

And while UEFA have refused to allow Liverpool to have any returned tickets from Milan for security and segregation reasons, many Anfield fans have been as critical of their own club as they have been of UEFA's stance.

Lawson, spokesman for the Official Liverpool Supporters Club, said: "There has been failures on all sides, the allocation is too small.

"But the crux of the matter is the way Liverpool have distributed their tickets.

"Fancard holders who may have only attended six Champions League qualifiers, but no other games, have gone into the same ballot as season-ticket holders.

"I have never seen anything this bad and I have never seen so many people down in the dumps as there are this year.

"Fans are very downbeat, I have heard of groups of 30 or 40 people where only three have been successful in getting tickets.

"People have been really upset, nearly in tears. It has taken a lot of the gloss off Liverpool getting to the final."

Liverpool have operated a fancard policy this season whereby supporters earn a point for each European game attended.

Those with seven or more points qualified while those with less - in many cases season-ticket holders who have been unable to travel abroad - have been entered into a ballot.

Results of the computerised ballot were announced yesterday with season-ticket holders and fancard holders in the draw together. No distinction was made between the two groups, other than the fancard holders' points tally.

Liverpool say their ticket distribution methods have been known since the beginning of the season, but many fans have already booked travel to Athens only to find they do not qualify for match tickets.

Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton said: "The bottom line is that UEFA gave us just short of 17,000 [16,779] knowing full well we have an extraordinary number of fans who want to go to the final.

"We made our concerns quite clear but UEFA told us there would be no more. We understand people's disappointment and we are sympathetic and apologetic. If we had been given more we would have happily made more available."

But it is UEFA's use of 20,000 tickets for corporate hospitality or their "own family" that is also being questioned. Many of these will find their way onto the black market, just as they did in Istanbul.

That accounted for how Liverpool fans took up three-quarters of the Turkish stadium.

UEFA insist their allocation is fair and spokesman William Gaillard told the Liverpool Echo: "If we built a stadium with a million seats, the match would still sell out and supporters would not be able to see the pitch.

"It's impossible more will be released in the coming weeks - 17,000 is the final figure."

Yeah.But It's always gonna be like that.
Even if they had it at anfield there would be people moaning coz they are season ticket holder but didnt go to euro games or the other way round.
Dont think there is much that can be done.
But i do agree that its not many tickets. Worse news is that if milan dont sell all theirs then tickets go into gerenal ballot...

yeah its always been like this. and always will

perfect example is when celtic played porto in the uefa cup final. approx 100,000 fans travelled to seville for this game and the official ticket allocation was no were near that amount. celtic could have filled that stadium twice with the numbers that travelled.

its sad, it should be a 50:50 fan split!! no excuses, makes for a better atmosphere

its sad, it should be a 50:50 fan split!! no excuses, makes for a better atmosphere

yes, it would.

but at the end of the day uefa need to keep the sponsors happy. and its only fair that the people of the city who are hosting a major final are giving a decent opportunity to attend a match in their city. if all the tickets went to the teams involved in the final, were would the locals get a ticket!!

I went to see Pnthkos v Lens in Uefa Cup there in Feb and the 9000 tickets were oversubscribed then.....The 9000 were split between 6000 onsale directly on Uefa web site to anybody and 3000 sold by a ticketing agency in Athens for the locals..I looked on the agency site mid Feb and it was indicating that their allocation was already subject to a ballot and if you werent in already,you were too late.

Great stadium - but you may have a problem getting back to city centre in the evening if making your own way.......

Remember ko time in Greece will be 9-45pm ....No bus service when my game finished in normal time and crowd of 50000

but the metro laid on a late train....hope you like standing!!LOL....!

You can chance your arm for a taxi but its dual carriageway surrounding the ground and a twenty-thirty minute walk before you find more accesible roads to do that...Just hope its gridlock outside and dive in the back of one.

Its always the same when it comes to eufa they've always got to keep a wad of tickets for all there mates done the same to Celtic when we were at Seville but we still filled the stadium but it ended up a total rip of for tickets so watch out guys

Back