108Mbps Wireless Router WGT624 v3, Plz help!

gamesmaster

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys

Recently I bought another computer and wanted to share the NTL broadband internet connection via a wireless router, hence I bought NETGEAR 108 Mbps Wireless Router WGT624 v3 from Currys yesterday.

I have installed the NETGEAR application and connected all the cables/wires how it’s described in the installation CD. The problem is that the internet is only working on the computer that already had the internet running and it’s not working on the new computer despite showing the icons at the bottom of the screen that it is connected to the router etc. But when I enter a site address nothing happens.

I wonder how I can make the internet work on the new computer as well?

Check the network settings on the old computer.... and check if you have the "Obtain an IP address automaticaly" box checked if you do then make sure you have the same on the new computer....

If this is all correct.....

On the old computer... Run "CMD"---->ipconfig
do the same on the new computer and check that you have the same IP domains e.g. 10.10.10.XXX where XXX should be diferent on both machines....

Let me know what you have and we can then interogate this further...

Check the network settings on the old computer.... and check if you have the "Obtain an IP address automaticaly" box checked if you do then make sure you have the same on the new computer....

If this is all correct.....

On the old computer... Run "CMD"---->ipconfig
do the same on the new computer and check that you have the same IP domains e.g. 10.10.10.XXX where XXX should be diferent on both machines....

Let me know what you have and we can then interogate this further...

I can't find where the option "Obtain an IP address automaticaly" is. Can you tell me where i can find it please, so i can then tell whether it is already enabled or not?

go to the router settings and input the mac of the wireless comp/laptop. you have to allow it access.

also make sure you have the security enabled, choose a pass and input that into the wireless comp/lap.

if you dont input the mac it wont let you connect even if you have the pass, mines a netgear and its the same for the last netgear i had aswell.

go to wireless settings its in there.

"I can't find where the option "Obtain an IP address automaticaly" is. Can you tell me where i can find it please, so i can then tell whether it is already enabled or not?"

This will be in the routers admin menu, you need to log onto your router through your pc. Have a look at this link it might help.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101209.asp

"I can't find where the option "Obtain an IP address automaticaly" is. Can you tell me where i can find it please, so i can then tell whether it is already enabled or not?"

This will be in the routers admin menu, you need to log onto your router through your pc. Have a look at this link it might help.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101209.asp

obtain ip addy auto isnt in the router its in the internet settings on the pc/lappy but i dont think its that as it set at that as default on nearly all pc,s.

if its netgear like mine it,ll be the wireless settings..he has to get the mac of his wireless item and enter that in the wireless settings on his router or it wont connect even if he has the wep key etc....

go to ur network conections located in ur control panel , night click the network connections icon , it will open ur network icon will be there right click on it go to prperties onother box will open up the last option is internet protorcolclick on it there u will find where u can choose auo choose obtain ip automatically, click both top and bottom boxes auto , save , then unplug ur router let it come on , u should be ok , if , not go to stat choose run type cmd , enter u will get a dos box type in ipconfig, hit the enter button , if it is showing that u have a ip it should be ok if not check ur leads and connections make sure u have the main lead from your modem to the wan of the router and from your pc to any of the lines

obtain ip addy auto isnt in the router its in the internet settings on the pc/lappy but i dont think its that as it set at that as default on nearly all pc,s.

if its netgear like mine it,ll be the wireless settings..he has to get the mac of his wireless item and enter that in the wireless settings on his router or it wont connect even if he has the wep key etc....

That only matters if you have the Mac filter option enabled....

That only matters if you have the Mac filter option enabled....

have you got a netgear then? its nothing to do with mac filter its wireless card setup where the option is, and its not called mac filter (even though it does filter macs, its not called that on my netgear, its called access control), in the wireless settings on the top end netgear routers you have to put the mac in the wireless settings for access as it set to on by default..

try telling him to turn it off .i said put the mac in as its set to on by default he could switch it off but you didnt tell him that and its safer to have it turned on hence why i said input his mac instead of turning it off.if you have it off and the wep is broken he,ll still be safe unless they get his mac as it wont allow access with it turned on, i was thinking security wise and with wireless its very necessary

try helping him.

Last edited by a moderator:
have you got a netgear then? its nothing to do with mac filter its wireless card setup where the option is, and its not called mac filter (even though it does filter macs, its not called that on my netgear, its called access control), in the wireless settings on the top end netgear routers you have to put the mac in the wireless settings for access as it set to on by default..

try telling him to turn it off .i said put the mac in as its set to on by default he could switch it off but you didnt tell him that and its safer to have it turned on hence why i said input his mac instead of turning it off.if you have it off and the wep is broken he,ll still be safe unless they get his mac as it wont allow access with it turned on, i was thinking security wise and with wireless its very necessary

try helping him.

OK....OK...OK....

I was first trying to find out if he is getting an IP address from him router or if it's setup as a static IP in which case he may have the wrong settings in the new PC.... But lets not argue....!!!! anyway if we have the IP address that should be then we can then go on and set up WEP etc.... I have the axact model he is using also have a V2 model also and I have set both up with no problems....

Back