old homeplugs vs new homeplugs

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm trying to work out if home plug technology has come on in the last few years. My dad has 40mb fibre in the bedroom and using a firestick 2 in the living room. He has sly internet sb201 router. I can get the firestick to connect with good/very good connection but he is getting the odd glitch on the odd footy game. I have the same server and it usaully rock solid. He had some older homeplugs that i connected up yesterday with a ethernet adpater for the firestick. It looked good at first but after leaving i told its garbage and un watchable. I went round today to check the homeplugs expecting something like 85mb or 100mb plugs but it turns out he has netgear av500 homeplugs. I guess they are 4 to 5 years old. I was looking at some tp-link av600 plugs in currys at £25.99 and wondering if he could get a much better connection. I understand that av2 means they now use the earth wire to give bigger bandwidth. Anyone any ideas as i am not sure if these are new av2 compliant.

TP-LINK TL-PA4010 Powerline Adapter Kit - AV600, Twin Pack

I cant imagine an ethernet adaptor (firestick) on top of home plugs would be a good idea.
I had homeplugs but I got sick of mauling with them and they werent crap ones either. Whether there was something on my electrical system I dont know.
In the end theres only one solution, ethernet up into the loft via the internal soil pipe cupboard then a small 8 port hub and ive never looked back.
Loads say theres no route, believe you me there is they just cant be arsed.
I bought a pack of cable traces eBay for £10. I had 25m laid in an hour

Hi silverdale thanks for the reply. Honestly homeplugs can he fine, we have 200mb internet at home usually 220mb. We bought the yougan a tplink av1300 set that has 3 X ethernets ports and also turns wireless. Cost us a load about £130.00 but he has constant 160+mb wired and the same wireless. He uses a firestick adapter too and he never complains. Believe me he is 15 and likes to complain 😁

Back