1 T External Hard Drive ?

Partycan

Inactive User
Reaction score
ok im after a 1 t external hard drive for me vidio and music...have max £ 100 to spend...

? anyone no of a goos ones to look at..

cheers for help

ok im after a 1 t external hard drive for me vidio and music...have max £ 100 to spend...

? anyone no of a goos ones to look at..

cheers for help

Maplins had a maxtor for about £70 a few weeks back.

But there is a samsung spinpoint in the bargin section of this forum for £75.

I think he wants extenal, but he could buy a cheap caddy off eeebay+samsung for a fifteen quid more, since its a damn fine drive. Although I don't think 3gbs is possible through USB only 1.5.

What ports do you have on your desktop/laptop, esata, firewire?

Last edited:
ive just bought a caddy of ebay for £37 but its a network caddy as well as samba and ftp server

Oh I forgot, Aria bang you with postage and have a crap returns service.

The thing I hate most about Aria is that you cannot buy it for that price from their shop/showroom (which is only 7 miles from me) and the stock figures are complete bollox. this I discovered when checking to see how many of an item they had left since said 5 on website, they said ,"hundreds we can change that figure when we want"

But everyone else is selling the 1Tb Spinpoint F1 drives for closer to £80...

I've never had a problem with Aria. Saying that, I've never had to use their returns service and more recently I've been using ebuyer for the most part (slightly cheaper on the most part and free postage on orders over £49.99).

I've never had a problem with Aria. Saying that, I've never had to use their returns service

I never had a problem with them either.............until I had to use their returns service. Believe me, you don't want to go there. :Angryfire

Needless to say, I never used them again. I value my sanity too much. :silly:

I think he wants extenal, but he could buy a cheap caddy off eeebay+samsung for a fifteen quid more, since its a damn fine drive. Although I don't think 3gbs is possible through USB only 1.5.

What ports do you have on your desktop/laptop, esata, firewire?

its for a dest top mate ...i have firewire and usb 2 ports...

the sammy sounds good as me mates just built a intel i7 dest top and he's well pleased.....

only thing is if i was get a spin point then ide have get a caddy for it and i donna what mess about ....

just whant one to plug in and away i go....

? what about a Western Digital 1TB My Book Studio Edition..only thing is there £150 lol bit to much for me ...

? if a got a sammy 1 T spin point what caddy would i need to buy and how much are there..

cheers for help

I would go for a firewire caddy since it out performs USB2 (although USB3 will be here soon to spank its bum), but they seem to be about £25

other than that get an off the shelf solution, plenty of bargains about, I like the LaCie, it looks puuurty

All of the spinpoint range are internal only i believe. You may find a company that sells them in an enclosure but they will probably bump the price up, you can do it yourself so easily, it would be the cheapest option imo.

All of the spinpoint range are internal only i believe. You may find a company that sells them in an enclosure but they will probably bump the price up, you can do it yourself so easily, it would be the cheapest option imo.

? right so if i was to get a sammy spin point would any caddy fit it.....pluss do we just open the caddy up and plug the drive in...

cheers for info

ok cheers..

? so it makes no difference that my hard drives in my pc are ide and not sata drives

Nope. But you need to make sure you get a caddy that matches one of the external connection methods on your motherboard; USB2, eSATA, firewire, ethernet (though that would more than likely be a NAS box).

Some caddies even have two connection methods (usually USB2 and eSATA). A note to make with eSATA is that it can struggle with SATA300 speeds and may need restricting at the drive to SATA150 (done via a jumper connection).

If you like the western digital external h drive then comet are doing them for 85 of the queens paper

If you like the western digital external h drive then comet are doing them for 85 of the queens paper

cheers m8 but no thanks...

im looking ahead to when i build me next pc and i think a sammy spin points the way to go as i can just unplug it and take it to me mate house when needed and the read ups pritty good as they recon there as good as the raptor drive....

@ little _pod i have fire wire front and back , usb2 front and back, and the mobo has two sata pulgs on the mother board...

ill get a sammy spinpoint and then take it from there

cheers

Back