1 500s with dodgey tuner and 1 with dodgey network connection

P4TCA

'Stupid Scottish White Guy'
Reaction score
Is it easy to make 1 good box out of the 2 of them?

everything is on one pcb so I doubt it unless you are something super in fault finding and soldering

with the cost of dm500 around 50 quid not worth the hassle of fixing them

They're quite easy to repair though, more often than not dry jointed due to poor manufacture in the earlier models 2009-2010.
Some boxes have a Pulse ethernet transformer next to the RJ45 socket, these often need to be reflowed.

There are 3 leds' in the ethernet circuit. If they are unlit it would suggest a power fault or a cable connection problem.
If D6+D7 are lit but no flashing from D5, the chances are that the problem lies with the Eeprom U3, a reflow needed.

Tuner faults are rare, normally the problem isn't the tuner but with the lnb switching circuitry.
There is an led, D72, quite dimly lit which gives some indication as to the state of the circuit. If lit, then there is a 22khz burst signal present and there is some voltage on the 13/18v output.
Check this voltage whist skipping through the horizontal and vertical channels. If it doesn't rise to 18v then the problem likely lies with U70. I had this problem yesterday where pin 3 was dry causing intermittent freezing.

If the led isn't lit, check the voltage on each side of F70. I had a problem with a new box that wouldn't scan, this fuse read over 300k and was dopping the voltage by 3volts.
If this checks out then measure the voltage at D71, if low or missing then Q72 or Q71 are suspect.
Problems such as signal dropping and DISEqC switching can sometimes be cured by replacing the 2 electrolytics C721/728.

Attachments

• Ethernet.JPG
    Ethernet.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • LNB Circuit (1).JPG
    LNB Circuit (1).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Ethernet.jpg
    Ethernet.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 19
  • lnb circuit.jpg
    lnb circuit.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 17
Chookey, brilliant post m8 cheers. I'll look out the soldering iron.

Back