£500.00 to spend on a new laptop

Nelly

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi All, sorry to do this but I just don’t keep up to date on PC’s anymore, my son has decided to replace his laptop, and has been asking me for advice on several from PC World, but I’ve got him to hang fire until the knowledgeable people on here have the chance to offer some advice.

He’s got £500.00 or there about's to spend, any gaming will be the likes of football manager etc (data base) more than needing it for high end gaming (xbox ps3 take care of that), 15" screen, an HDMI is needed, and Bluetooth would be a nice extra other than that it is the usual day to day stuff, browsing, burning a new music cd for the car, etc.

Having a look myself it seams a balance between better processor + ram v lower processor, less Ram but separate graphics card. So I know you won’t let me down lets have your thoughts. Ta.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider popping over to Dell clearance and having a look what they have on offer.
i3 would prop do for something like that football manager game. Get as much RAM as you can. 4Gb will be nice.

Bluetooth, most wireless cards have bluetooth integrated as well.

Thanks for the 2 reply's (Rep added), I have had a look at the Dell site this morning, and could anybody tell me which of these two would make the better machine the one with the 6gb ram plus Intel HD Graphics 3000, or the 4gb of ram plus the 1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 525M graphics card, ta.
Shop for Home and Home Office | Dell UK

I recently bought a ACER Core i7-2630, 500Gb HDD, 8Gb Ram, Intel HD 3000 GFX for £499 from ARGOS.

Best price I've seen for an i7 anywhere.

The Intel HD 3000 GFX are actually built into the CPU and is easily the best onboard graphics I've ever used.
It'll play more or less any game out there as long as I don't select the highest quality graphics settings, older games play smoothly with the settings maxed out.

Check this thread for more info...

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/281972/

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently bought a ACER Core i7-2630, 500Gb HDD, 8Gb Ram, Intel HD 3000 GFX for £499 from ARGOS.

Best price I've seen for an i7 anywhere.

The Intel HD 3000 GFX are actually built into the CPU and is easily the best onboard graphics I've ever used.
It'll play more or less any game out there as long as I don't select the highest quality graphics settings, older games play smoothly with the settings maxed out.

Check this thread for more info...

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/281972/

Had a look at the post and Argos, looks like you dropped very lucky, couldn't find anything like on there site for that price now, thanks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Settled on the Dell with separate graphics memory, also found a £70.00 off deal and they had free delivery on offer so managed to save a bit of money on the price, sweet. :proud:

Back