£1,300 fine paid in pennies refused

The Bouncer

Inactive User
Reaction score
£1,300 fine paid in pennies refused

A city council refused to accept a supermarket trolley holding almost half a tonne of pennies from a wheel-clamper as payment for a £1,300 debt.

The shopping trolley, which requires three men to move it, was delivered in a van to trading standards offices in Birmingham by wheel-clamper Gary Southall.

The 48-year-old, from Digbeth, Birmingham, had hoped that the pennies would pay legal costs he owes to the city council after a court action in January.

Its legal tender, as far as i am aware they cannot refuse to accept it.

Thats if cash is allowed in the 1st place.

Its legal tender, as far as i am aware they cannot refuse to accept it.

Thats if cash is allowed in the 1st place.

As far as i know its not legal tender if its over a certain amount.
Im off to google to check lol

as long as he can prove that he had the cash there, which he did, and they refused to accept it, they will have to write off the debt

no court of law in the land will back the council on this as 1p is legal tender\

nice one lol

Ok ive checked and as i thought its not legal tender read below.

Legal Tender
Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term "legal tender" has very little practical application.
The following is a summary of the currently produced British circulating coins, plus the five pounds:-

Denomination Legal Tender Limit
£5 Crown Any Amount
£2 Any Amount
£1 Any Amount
50 Pence £10
25 Pence (Older Crowns) £10
20 Pence £10
10 Pence £5
5 Pence £5
2 Pence £0.20
1 Penny £0.20
Notes
Denomination = Face Value
Legal Tender Limit = Any amount up to the maximum shown
Older Crowns = Crowns dated before 1990

Ok ive checked and as i thought its not legal tender read below.

Legal Tender
Legal tender has a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he owes under the terms of a contract, he has good defence in law if he is subsequently sued for non-payment of the debt. In ordinary everyday transactions, the term "legal tender" has very little practical application.
The following is a summary of the currently produced British circulating coins, plus the five pounds:-

Denomination Legal Tender Limit
£5 Crown Any Amount
£2 Any Amount
£1 Any Amount
50 Pence £10
20 Pence £10
10 Pence £5
5 Pence £5
2 Pence £0.20
1 Penny £0.20
Notes
Denomination = Face Value
Legal Tender Limit = Any amount up to the maximum shown

What so 1p in more than 20p is not legal?

id pay it 20 p at a time lol, and ask for a hand written receipt for each payment lol

but at the end of the day...he is a wheel clamper so bet it was nice to to say to him "sorry mate nothing i can do, i don't make the rules"

they should invest in one of those pennies to notes machines you find in supermarkets.

lol, I would loved to have seen the faces when they were asked to take the pennies.

lol similar here in Irl.

No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction

does this mean then that the post office could be breaking some kind of law for changing my entire copper jar for notes?

Since when do we have 25p coins?

I've heard of them in the old black and white films but weren't they taken out of circulation in the 70's when decimalisation came into force?

does this mean then that the post office could be breaking some kind of law for changing my entire copper jar for notes?

Dont think so m8. Its one of these laws that you can ignore if you want. Or apply if you want.

130000 pennies where did he get them how did he get all them
i know at the end of the day i end up with a couple of them but 130000

130000 pennies where did he get them how did he get all them
i know at the end of the day i end up with a couple of them but 130000

probably like me, I tend not to use change, just hand it to the wife as she needs more for the lad's bus fare. I guess pennies used less and so add up. We got a box full of them, but no way near this amount.

More to the point, where do you get £1300 worth of pennies? If you went to a bank and asked them to change it, they wouldn't do it lol.

but at the end of the day...he is a wheel clamper so bet it was nice to to say to him "sorry mate nothing i can do, i don't make the rules"

well said and nobody else has picked up on...hate wheel clampers and council are well within there rights not to accept it

tho councils are not much better but thats another rant :Angryfire

No they aint breaking the law
But they have the option of refuse or accept
Most of the shops round me know this and wont accept as a result

Since when do we have 25p coins?

I've heard of them in the old black and white films but weren't they taken out of circulation in the 70's when decimalisation came into force?

Yes you have
When you were a school in 1977 the silver jubilee
You were given 1 like me
Said coin is the same size as a five pound coin

As for the fine he paid
Why cant he just as said pay 20p at a time
they have to accept it and the queue would just get longer while he did it
Also would be a good excuse for anyone who was late with their payment
i.e i was there but the queue never moved LOL

Last edited:
Back