speeding ticket

Taff

Inactive User
Reaction score
found out this afternoon i got a speeding ticket three weeks ago, I was caught doing 83 in a 70 on the M4, I had only just bought the car and the ticket had been sent to the previous owner as the paper work had not been transfered at the dvla yet.... she returned the ticket saying car was sold

I am not trying to get out of anything here, I broke the law and will take my medicene but my wife thinks that anything above 80 on a motorway will recieve heaver than normal punishments ???? I was hoping for 3 points and £60 fine....

can anyone confirm the penalty for such an offence ????

regards

Taff

i think 100 is the biggy on the motorway but you could still get 6 points me thinks

yeah 100 is the big one . the law states that they have to give you 10% plus 2mph for speedo calibration errors so 83 is not that bad i think

If it's a fixed penalty notice then it'll be 3 points and a £60 fine.

Up to 79mph you should be just told off, 79-95mph is a fixed penalty and 96mph+ is a mandatory summons to appear in court.

I would get advice on pleading not guilty. If they can't prove who owns the car at that time, who can they prosecute?

Last edited:
If it's a fixed penalty notice then it'll be 3 points and a £60 fine.

Up to 79mph you should be just told off, 79-95mph is a fixed penalty and 96mph+ is a mandatory summons to appear in court.

I would get advice on pleading not guilty. If they can't prove who owns the car at that time, who can they prosecute?

personally i wouldn't bother pleading not guilty, they can prove who owned the car at the time cos of the new log books that are out, you both have to sign it and the previous owner is legally bound to return it. If you plead not guilty, then might have to pay court fees.

Back