DM500 Flashing Error . . . .!!

Ginkman

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am getting this message when trying to flash a DM500.
This is a box just back from the dealer after being sent back for a different problem.
Is it knackered or can I fix this or get around it somehow..??

reflash with erase.img
then flash again using dreamup in both situations.

already tried that a few times, but always the same error message.

anything else worth trying . . .

did you try flashing with ethernet orginally? Only ever happend to me if chaging image from gemini to enigma image, as its a known error to flash with null modem when chaging from image to image.

I'm using null modem cable and dreamup, this is the only method I've used

both the flash and flash erase or flashing a erase.img give the same result

what else can I try

I probably can't try ethernet method now as I don't know IP settings on box now...

everywhich way I've tried every image with dreamup and aways the same ERROR resetting lock-bits.

is there anything left to try, I have search around a lot and I can see it has been a common enough problem, but I can't find a solution for me.

If anybody has any ideas they are very much appreciated . . .

I have had this in the past. Think rebooting the pc and dream sorted it out. Ensure you power off correctly.

Can you erase the flash with no problems ?

Does the green light come on ok.

I notice your com port is 18 ? Thats a bit unusual, if you cant flash erase (ie use the flash erase button) and the cable is ok then try another pc/ laptop.

everywhich way I've tried every image with dreamup and aways the same ERROR resetting lock-bits.

is there anything left to try, I have search around a lot and I can see it has been a common enough problem, but I can't find a solution for me.

If anybody has any ideas they are very much appreciated . . .

Hello

To upgrade box via null cable:

1- Try using another pc with comport could be a problem with current pc comport

By LAN

1 - CLICK MENU
2- EXPERT SETUP
3- COMUNICATION SETUP
4- Disable DHCP and enter the following information

IP -192.168.2.50

5- Then go to computer and click on Network connections

Click START/CONTROL PANEL/NETWORK CONNECTIONS/LOCAL AREA CONECTION/PROPERTIES/internet protocol (TCP IP) and change the following information

IP - 192.168.2.10

Save config and then connect box via flashwizard or other program using LAN connection (dont forget to put dreambox ip 192.168.2.50 in software used to upgrade image via lan

Cheers
Calhordas

He has no image so no point trying tcpip.

Ginkman - my problem was a dodgy null modem cable (I just reread my posts). so replace it.

my laptop and cable are working ok, I have just tried it and updated my mates box ok

I also tried it on my 600 and it works fine

I will try this box on a different PC just to see if that helps

it gives me the same error message nomatter what image I use, or if I try flash erase and even when I try the erase.img

soon going to plan Z ( whack it off the wall and then try it )

thanks for the help so far guys, please keep the ideas coming . . . .cheers

Have you tried flashing original firmware from DMM ,just a thought,better than using plan z,lol.

ok . . . . I haven't whacked it off the wall yet

I give up on dreamup as I have tried everything I can think of and always get 'ERROR resetting lock-bits'

is there any other way for me to get into the box and check or set the IP

can I telnet in or hyper terminal to do or try anything

the dealer is fobbing me off and just saying get someone to fix it [ -ollocks ]

yeehawwww, got it working, ( mostly pure luck and perseverance )

in the end I all but gave up and it was heading for the bin...

I decided to take it apart and see if there was anything obvious, there wasn't
so I just got some alchohol wipes and gave the circuit board a good clean
I then just connected the circuit board to the pc to see and hey presto it flashed
only problem was the image I used had a pin in and I didn't know it
I eventually got brave enough to reflash again and it worked fine again.
just plugged the remote sensor to the board and hooked up to the TV, everything scanned in and working fine.

put the box back together and tried again, shite, back to square one, nothing working.

screwed the board out again and hey presto, everything fine again
now think that something is shorting out on the board when it is screwed back into the housing
so got it back together with one screw and some cellotape and it is working fine, not a bother

as I say, more luck and perseverance than brains, but alls weel that ends well,

thanks to all that helped and as usual we all learn something along the way . . . . . ..

yeehawwww, got it working, ( mostly pure luck and perseverance )

in the end I all but gave up and it was heading for the bin...

I decided to take it apart and see if there was anything obvious, there wasn't
so I just got some alchohol wipes and gave the circuit board a good clean
I then just connected the circuit board to the pc to see and hey presto it flashed
only problem was the image I used had a pin in and I didn't know it
I eventually got brave enough to reflash again and it worked fine again.
just plugged the remote sensor to the board and hooked up to the TV, everything scanned in and working fine.

put the box back together and tried again, shite, back to square one, nothing working.

screwed the board out again and hey presto, everything fine again
now think that something is shorting out on the board when it is screwed back into the housing
so got it back together with one screw and some cellotape and it is working fine, not a bother

as I say, more luck and perseverance than brains, but alls weel that ends well,

thanks to all that helped and as usual we all learn something along the way . . . . . ..

Jaysus - fair play to you.

If shorting does not appear to be the cause then I would say that you have a proken via on the board somewhere. no chance of finding this

it could also be an open on an IC leg. since it is a flashing error start with the area around the flash chip and with a tooth pick (wooden) GENTLY under a magnifying glass press each leg to see if there is a broken track or open leg. If it is an internal fault in the board or component then find out what way the box works. i.e flex the board in a direction and try to flash it. try the other side etc. you may be lucky.

If shorting does not appear to be the cause then I would say that you have a proken via on the board somewhere. no chance of finding this

it could also be an open on an IC leg. since it is a flashing error start with the area around the flash chip and with a tooth pick (wooden) GENTLY under a magnifying glass press each leg to see if there is a broken track or open leg. If it is an internal fault in the board or component then find out what way the box works. i.e flex the board in a direction and try to flash it. try the other side etc. you may be lucky.

it's working now so i'll leave well enough alone . .
thanks for the pointers, if I ever have to look at it again I'll try these options...

Does anyone know if the Circuit Boards [mother boards] can be baught for these anywhere. . .??
it's a 500T clone . . . .

Back