WiFi Wifi expert required to solve problem

whammy

Inactive User
Reaction score
I hope someone can explain the problem I have with my wifi network. I do not have a telephone line so my wifi network is via a Samsung galaxy s2 mobile phone which I have set up as a mobile wifi hotspot which I am using via the tethering system. I have also set up a wifi repeater to reach parts of my home which were receiving a weak wifi signal. I have a Amiko hd890 satellite receiver box which is close to the samsung phone (approx 4 yards) which I acces the internet via the boxes wifi dongle/antenna. Now to the problem ----If I am using the box and it is the only thing connected to the network I am having intermittent results if you catch my drift --now if my wife starts using her laptop or smart tv to acess streaming services e.g. netflix my satellite box starts performing very much better and any intermittent picture etc dissapears, now I have heard that a wifi signal in some circumstances can be too strong ???? which I find hard to understand, I thought a good strong wifi signal was the ultimate goal. I have tried moving the phone further from the sat box but no improvement, I have tried using a wifi bridge for a ethernet connection but still the same. The only way to get things working properly is to have the two things going at the same time, I hope I have explained it properly - Any ideas ??????

Its the mobile network,

Unless you are using under a certain amount of data the connection will stay on a lower speed.

Try pinging bbc from the laptop (ping -t bbc.co.uk) and you will have a high ping time. 100s of milliseconds.

Then start using the internet while still pinging bbc and you will notice the ping time decrease to 10s of milliseconds.

It the way mobile internet works, while no data or very little data is going through then you are put on a lower/slower network setting. Once you start pushing data through you are automatically higher/faster network setting.

To keep the network on the higher setting you need a constant data stream, ecm's from a cardserver is not enough im afraid.

You can run a constant ping using just enough data to push you onto the higher network speed.

Do this from a pc using the line below, change the 64 for a higher number until the ping times reduce, ie 64 128 256 512

ping -t -l 64 bbc.co.uk

To do it from you sat box using telnet, its the same as before change the number to the desired packet size.

ping -s 64 bbc.co.uk

Thanks for the reply Eon, I think I understand and will try your solution later and will post my result.

Thanks Danger, I have now had a look at the pinging thing and to be honest it did not make much sense to me, the spark software with my amiko sat box is not very advanced for altering any network connection settings, will have a look at the google app for 3g as you suggested. As for the pinging thing I can see what has been said about what is affecting the wifi network and that it needs to be kick started to be 3g or higher and my wife streaming on her laptop obviously does this but I don't know how to alter any settings on the amiko box to solve the problem so I don't have to have anything else running to make the sat box useable. But thanks for both replies - knowledge is power !!!!!!

Really useful info m8, thanks. I have a 4G modem/router and have often wondered about the apparent random response times. Not that I ever get to 4G, I don't think they can count that high here!

Its the mobile network,

Unless you are using under a certain amount of data the connection will stay on a lower speed.

Try pinging bbc from the laptop (ping -t bbc.co.uk) and you will have a high ping time. 100s of milliseconds.

Then start using the internet while still pinging bbc and you will notice the ping time decrease to 10s of milliseconds.

It the way mobile internet works, while no data or very little data is going through then you are put on a lower/slower network setting. Once you start pushing data through you are automatically higher/faster network setting.

To keep the network on the higher setting you need a constant data stream, ecm's from a cardserver is not enough im afraid.

You can run a constant ping using just enough data to push you onto the higher network speed.

Do this from a pc using the line below, change the 64 for a higher number until the ping times reduce, ie 64 128 256 512

ping -t -l 64 bbc.co.uk

To do it from you sat box using telnet, its the same as before change the number to the desired packet size.

ping -s 64 bbc.co.uk

Thanks Danger, I have now had a look at the pinging thing and to be honest it did not make much sense to me, the spark software with my amiko sat box is not very advanced for altering any network connection settings, will have a look at the google app for 3g as you suggested. As for the pinging thing I can see what has been said about what is affecting the wifi network and that it needs to be kick started to be 3g or higher and my wife streaming on her laptop obviously does this but I don't know how to alter any settings on the amiko box to solve the problem so I don't have to have anything else running to make the sat box useable. But thanks for both replies - knowledge is power !!!!!!

Learn how to telnet to your sat box then you can run a ping

Thanks Eon, will give it a go, as for the 3g app on the phone it did not make any difference, so I spent the afternoon watching the footy whilst wife was streaming criminal minds - domestic bliss !!!!!!

as mentioned earlier, use a pc or laptop and continuosly ping an internet address
open command prompt (cmd in windows) used to be called dos prompt lol.. type in the following;" ping 8.8.8.8 -t" without quotes
then press enter, this will make your pc or laptop constantly talk to the google site, thus pushing the required amount of data through your 3g connection to allow uninterupted viewing on your telly

Hi, thanks installer, have tried the pinging and it makes a big improvement, ecm times I am getting on the ping are a bit erratic - I presume this is normal getting between 43 and 421 ms and sending 32 bytes, does not mean that much to me though, I take it I am not breaking any rules by pinging all the time whilst I am watching ????

thanks

Not at all you gotta do what u gotta do lol, if you need to increase the data flow stream a radio station on pc instead, just remember to turn volume down lol, hope you have an unlimited data package on your phone lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes, i am on the one plan on 3 mobile which is unlimited data at the moment but I think 3 are now cutting back on this deal, thanks for your time and advice.

Yes, i am on the one plan on 3 mobile which is unlimited data at the moment but I think 3 are now cutting back on this deal, thanks for your time and advice.

If you are on three you can also try changing APN (access point name) setting from

three.co.uk (payg APN)

to

3internet (mobile internet APN)

Mobile internet APN has priority PAYG APN, meaning you will get a better service from 3internet APN

Hi eon, will take a look at that, thanks for the info.

Back