MESH WiFi is it much better than a WiFi Extender ?

D 8 RCS

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Still Lost and Looking for a Better Place.
Obviously notice that several members are using Mesh WiFi but do you notice the difference between Mesh and WiFi Extenders ?
The walls in my house seem to block almost all wifi signals and a wifi extender has not made much difference. Having just had 1 Gig speed Fibre installed I am seriously considering Mesh but would like some feed back from those who use it and are there any particular makes that you would recommend above others.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I bought these last year as we could not get wifi upstairs or in the conservatory.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/951...BUL9YO2An3w7LYgYETgaAgqvEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ive tried wifi extenders and they work to a degree, but switching between them was painfully slow and speeds were shite.
Since having a mesh system we get full wifi throughout the house and you can move around from room to room without dropping the signal or speed.

These are well worth the money, since VM want to charge £5 a month for just 1 of there pods 🙄.

It was really easy to setup too through the there own app.

I bought these to replace a tp link extender I was using.
Tried 2 of them for a couple of weeks and have reverted back to the tp link. Nothing wrong with them but they were no real improvement on my extender given the coverage I needed.

Been tempted by Mesh systems in the past, but the Powerline adapters I'm using work perfectly.

Most of them communicate with each other by Wi-Fi. A good portion of users on forums will run cables to other rooms. Access points are therefore better.

The mesh units usually have two ethernet ports. I am not sure if they will use the ethernet cable from the main switch/router as an incoming source. The manuals I have read are not very clear.

The mesh units usually have two ethernet ports. I am not sure if they will use the ethernet cable from the main switch/router as an incoming source. The manuals I have read are not very clear.

Yes you place 1 by the router/switch connected via ethernet then place the others around the house.
You can also buy additional units for more coverage.

But I wouldn't want them to communicate by wi-fi when Gigabit cables are available.
I used this to make an access point for a family member. They are with Virgin and I used l sourced an old sky router
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is the tplink guide
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Would be nice to confirm if the Mesh ones will communicate using cables.

Last edited:
I am currently arguing with CCL computers after they had a special offer on their eBay site for a pair of the TP Link M4s for just over £33

It was posted on hotukdeals and a few people ordered on the same day and got theirs a day before I got an email saying my order was cancelled. I asked why it was cancelled as I had not cancelled it and others had already got theirs. They then lied to me telling me that I had cancelled it.

I have had various emails back and forth where they admitted that they had cancelled it not me, claiming it had been listed incorrectly, I said how come others already got theirs before I got the email cancelling it. Then they said it was out of stock, despite it still being for sale in their store and it had been on sale on their eBay site each day, albeit at a much increased price, every day since I ordered it.

When I have had problems with other companies I have usually emailed the CEO and they have sorted it the following day but I can't find the email of their current CEO, only their previous one who left in 2021. I asked them to forward my emails to their current CEO but despite them saying that they have passed my details on a few days ago I have heard nothing, so I don't think they have bothered notifying anyone and will just be laughing amongst themselves.

Amazon and Box have them on sale for £60, which is a good price, but the CCL one was better.

I am currently arguing with CCL computers after they had a special offer on their eBay site for a pair of the TP Link M4s for just over £33

It was posted on hotukdeals and a few people ordered on the same day and got theirs a day before I got an email saying my order was cancelled. I asked why it was cancelled as I had not cancelled it and others had already got theirs. They then lied to me telling me that I had cancelled it.

I have had various emails back and forth where they admitted that they had cancelled it not me, claiming it had been listed incorrectly, I said how come others already got theirs before I got the email cancelling it. Then they said it was out of stock, despite it still being for sale in their store and it had been on sale on their eBay site each day, albeit at a much increased price, every day since I ordered it.

When I have had problems with other companies I have usually emailed the CEO and they have sorted it the following day but I can't find the email of their current CEO, only their previous one who left in 2021. I asked them to forward my emails to their current CEO but despite them saying that they have passed my details on a few days ago I have heard nothing, so I don't think they have bothered notifying anyone and will just be laughing amongst themselves.

Amazon and Box have them on sale for £60, which is a good price, but the CCL one was better.
CEO is
Scott Brenchley who is CEO @ Tactus Group

Scott Brenchley email address & phone number | Tactus Group Chief Executive Officer contact information - RocketReach

Scott Brenchley Email Address

Found 5 email address listings:

Last edited:
Thanks, do you think it is just his full name without a space before the @ for all of them?

Would be nice to confirm if the Mesh ones will communicate using cables.
Mine can't as the units only have a single ethernet port. I could easily wire the 1st module some distance from my hub but the other modules would have to connect via wifi 6.

Mine can't as the units only have a single ethernet port. I could easily wire the 1st module some distance from my hub but the other modules would have to connect via wifi 6.
If one cable works, that would prove it will work for incoming data signal via ethernet. As an example, a long cable to workshop at back of garden without depending on intermediate relay stations.

Consensus seems to be that Mesh is better than Extenders and that the TP-Link M4 AC1200 Deco Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System (There is also an S4 AC1200 Deco with the only difference being the size of the pods) is the chosen model without having to go to the next generation WiFi 6. This is a near top end entry level system and so a fairly reasonable price, I think I may go for a 3 pod package.
Also, I am thinking of using the Mesh as Access Points rather than connecting direct to the ethernet, does anyone know if this will affect performance.

If one cable works, that would prove it will work for incoming data signal via ethernet. As an example, a long cable to workshop at back of garden without depending on intermediate relay stations.
I see what you mean now. Yes, the first module installed is directly cabled to the router/hub so is full speed. Any module can act as the transmitter or receiver. The wifi speed drops alarmingly over a distance.
My aim is to get good wifi to my workshop and garden for my phone. I already have my workshop fully cabled direct from the hub.

I only "tried out" this mesh system but will do it differently when I decide to do it for real. The 1st module currently sits next to my hub which is pointless. I need to run another cable to a midpoint between my hub and workshop. I could then install a 2nd module in my workshop for full wifi coverage.

If you have a cable from hub to workshop, why not move the mesh unit to the workshop? In essence you are just extending the cable used to connect to hub. You can add a switch before connecting the mesh unit if required. The other mesh unit can be placed inside house as near as possible to the workshop.

Edit: Picture attached. I have not drawn field from mesh 3,

Attachments

• workshop.png
    workshop.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
If you have a cable from hub to workshop, why not move the mesh unit to the workshop? In essence you are just extending the cable used to connect to hub. You can add a switch before connecting the mesh unit if required. The other mesh unit can be placed inside house as near as possible to the workshop.
I must be going mad. Can only put it down to my ME but just thought I'd pop one in my workshop and check the coverage/speed. Forget the only 1 ethernet adapter nonsense I spouted. I could even do away with the switch.,

IMG_20230506_142012.jpg

Back