Linux xbmc on rasp pi

BIG-HOL

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hello guys iv just ordered a rasp pi model b 512mb along with a case and vesa mount for tv, should be here in a couple of days, what im wanting to know is which is the best xbmc to put on this as from a quick google i see theres a few, openelec seems my best choice at the moment at the quick look iv had, is it hard to install these files to the sd card or is it basic stuff, bare in mind i aint got a clue with linux commands and stuff, if there needed.

another thing is i would like to be able to use my logitech harmony 700 remote to control it, but which ir receiver will i need for this to work and how would i map buttons and so on, would i be best buying an mce remote with ir receiver then program the logitech remote via the learn commands option or is there setups out there already to select for my logitech remote where it would just work for what i need.

any thoughts on this is appreciated.

I've just stuck with wheezy and then installed xbmc. I think openelec is just xbmc only and will not allow you to use the Pi for much else. So it depends if you just want a media server or you require other things. One of the good things with Pi is that you can easily write any of the systems to the SD and try a few of them out. You can also install berryboot which allows you to install multiple systems from the same SD but I've not tried that one yet. For a remote for xbmc, I use an android app and that works pretty well. Someone posted a thread last week on here for a bluetooth remote and they said it was compatible with Pi.

at the moment all i wanna do is set it up for xbmc, what can i do extra with wheezy installed mate, and what do you use it for, yeah iv already downloaded the official xbmc remote for android so ill give it a go but id love to be able to control it from my harmony remote like everything in my living room is, including my fireplace, lol.

at the moment all i wanna do is set it up for xbmc, what can i do extra with wheezy installed mate, and what do you use it for, yeah iv already downloaded the official xbmc remote for android so ill give it a go but id love to be able to control it from my harmony remote like everything in my living room is, including my fireplace, lol.

theres a remote on bay big hol for 4.00 its
a good bit of kit mate.its called pc remote if you want a link ill add it ok.openelec def seems to be faster but im quite happy with wheezy and bm.im powering mine from the usb on tv and have the pi stuck behind tv with velcroe mate.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

on ebay there is a 4GB SD card with dual boot xbmc and wheezy £4.79 with £1 postage.
save the hassle making the dual boot card yourself.

@ big_hol I have mine setup as a nas drive with sickbeard sabnzbd to download the shows and watch them with xbmc I have posted the links to the guides to install all the parts and if you install mobaxterm on your pc you can do it all from the pc

Like Steve2493 said, you can control it via your t.v. remote. Both my pi's work this way and neither t.v is very recent. Use my tablet sometimes too with xbmc remote or yatse.

thanks for the responses chaps, should be here 2moro then i can start messing about, dont think my tv remote is capable of controlling it, how does that work anyway, like i said i dont use the original remote anyway i use my logitech 700, my tv has a usb so will try and see if its enough to power it, if not iv got plenty micro usb leads and plugs so im not fussed.

i found a tutorial online last night and have put the latest openelec xbmc onto the sd card so it should just be plug and play from there and set xbmc up for now to have a mess about, iv also got a spare lenovo n5902 multimedia remote which would work well to control it provided its supported, im guessing it should be.

will the likes of this keyboard and mouse work with the pi for xbmc guys

2.4G WHITE SLIM mini wireless keyboard and mouse set combo for Acer Revo RL100 | eBay

also this is what i have already, should this work just by plug and play or is it not that easy

Lenovo Enhanced Multimedia Remote with backlit keyboard N5902 | Lenovo | (US)

there is a wiki for raspi working remote and key boards I just use my android phone for the remote an any usb keyboard will work
that keyboard also needs a usb wifi dongle for the raspi because it doesn't have a wifi of its own built in

Last edited:
thanks for the responses chaps, should be here 2moro then i can start messing about, dont think my tv remote is capable of controlling it, how does that work anyway, like i said i dont use the original remote anyway i use my logitech 700, my tv has a usb so will try and see if its enough to power it, if not iv got plenty micro usb leads and plugs so im not fussed.

i found a tutorial online last night and have put the latest openelec xbmc onto the sd card so it should just be plug and play from there and set xbmc up for now to have a mess about, iv also got a spare lenovo n5902 multimedia remote which would work well to control it provided its supported, im guessing it should be.

the tv sends the commands back through the hdmi cable to the pi, it only works on hdmi 2 on both of my tv's mine are both samsung's, but think lg do the same

the tv sends the commands back through the hdmi cable to the pi, it only works on hdmi 2 on both of my tv's mine are both samsung's, but think lg do the same
please explain the settings needed as I have my raspi on a samsung tv hdmi/dvi 2

as a side note , i have a onkyo amp which my pi is connected too, and my tv controls both the amp and pi through hdmi2

Last edited:
My 3d tv doesn't have either of those in system or network

Sent from my Orange Monte Carlo using Tapatalk

I have a UE46EH6030 which is a 2012/13 model and it only has allshare and requires an internet connection to run that nothing to do with cec i have looked for that setting but it is not available

I have a UE46EH6030 which is a 2012/13 model and it only has allshare and requires an internet connection to run that nothing to do with cec i have looked for that setting but it is not available

just looked on samsungs site and your tv doesn't support anynet :(

I looked as well typical every thing I buy is the same the newer the harder it is to do things with my old philips 42" easy just happened from new,: xp maps network drives easily win 7 No win 8 even harder

Back