windows 7 on 2 drives - how to boot from other drive

elniro

Inactive User
Reaction score
To cut a long pain in ass story short I had to install windows7 onto my 2nd drive.
Now even when I have set my primary hard drive with the original windows7 installation to boot from in BIOS and disabled the 2nd hard drive, it is still booting into the new installation.

Is there any way I can set it so it picks up the original installation?
(I have tried going to msconfig then boot tab but it is only showing 1 entry, which is the newest installation, there is nothing showing from 2nd drive, which makes no sense as all the files are still there)

If not how should I go about moving all the files from original installation onto the new one? can i just copy, paste, and overwrite? As I really do not want to set up my system again and all the program installations as I spent countless hours to get it set up how i wanted (including ways for stuff to work that wouldnt easily work in windows7)

Any help would be much appreciated! =D

You've not properly disabled the original drive in the BIOS mate, if you had then the system wouldn't 'see' the drive let alone boot from it.

I'd install GRUB, it'll scan for all bootable partitions and re-write your MBR, giving you a nice tidy list of available OS'es

thanks for the replies guys.

I finally sorted it out, original problem was i had xp on old drive and put that in new comp and installed windows 7 on new drive, when i was trying to force changes on old drive last night it must have corrupted both OS on both drives. I had been trying repair from win7 cd, but to no avail, so i installed win7 on the other drive.

I thought i'd try repair tool one more time just in case, and law behold it has detected error and recovered my initial installation, so i have set that as default boot-up in msconfig.

Now onto the problem of completely formatting the 2nd drive so I can use it as storage.

Back