Win 10 Not booting

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I screwed up yesterday trying to format a corrupt 4tb CCTV hard drive via my hotswap caddie connected to my PC, I was using Hirens 15.2 pe.

I must have accidentally screwed my Windows 10 in the process wrongly deleting files while in Hirens. I had a quick check and I can still access the desktop files/folders from the corrupt Windows hard drive.

I tried to repair Windows via CMD in Hirens SFC /scannow and selecting the drive, it just gives me a "Windows Resource Protection"
I've spent all morn typing in trusted installer all that no joy.
I have an installation windows 10 but I'd prefer just to repair the windows.

is there any simpler way to repair ?

On Hirens 15.2

Recovery Tools

SoftPerfect File Recovery 1.2: Restore accidentally deleted files from hard drive, USB flash drives, CF and SD memory cards (Windows Freeware).

Restoration 3.2.13: A tool to recover deleted files (Windows Freeware).

See if you can scan the drive with that ?

Last edited:
It had gone too far, luckily the hard drive was still showing all my files in Hirens so I copied over all the stuff I needed and ended up cloning back an image I found from 6 month back with all my apps and crap in place.

I screwed up because I was rushing like a nobhead. When I put the CCTV hard drive into my hotswap usb caddie I clicked on the wrong hard drive when repairing and doing and must have clicked on the OS drive by mistake.

It didn't help that both mine and the CCTV hard drive were both Seagate drives. I'd forgot I'd made a full backup image 6 month ago of my OS drive. I only dropped on it by chance when I was looking for a spare hard drive to dump and rescue my files to.

There's 8 hours I'll never get back

Rather than start another thread:

This CCTV hard drive ?, it's a Toshiba 4tb, it's plugged into a hotswap caddie. When I power up the caddie windows see's it and all Hirens profs pick it up for about 2 minutes then it drops out and the caddie light goes red.
I tried all the programs but once the hard drive caddie goes red it drops out ?
I presume it's dead for good ?

There's 8 hours I'll never get back
I remind you that formatting a disk (even if format all disk if used fast format) does not delete any files from your disk. So you haven't lost them somewhere, it's just that it's difficult for you to get them back to the same folders, but it's possible to get everything back exactly as long as the system hasn't overwritten them. So, if you haven't saved anything new to that disk, those files won't be overwritten either. They are just invisible to you and the system because the tags and indexes are removed.
Your files are lost only if you overwrite them with other information, i.e. if you use full formatting with whole data wipe or shredding.

Back