Which TM to Replace 5402

Hebridean

Inactive User
Reaction score
My Sly HD subscription is coming to an end soon and I looking for a replacement box that has good PVR and good EPG. I could go back to my 5402 HD but I found the EPG and PVR a bit basic.

I only want the FTA, Freesat and any extras that I can get with my white viewing card. Internal HDD with flexibility to upgrade if necessary.

Can anyone guide me so that I don't buy a heap of features that I don't actually need.

I would suggest you look at one of the tm linux box's like the tm twin ect. They take a little getting used to and you need to put a little work into getting the best out of it, but if you have a good net connection there are lots of movie plugins that allow you to stream to the box and use it as a iptv box. There are various 7 day epg's and you can change the way the box looks and feels if you get board. There just not plug and play.

the TM5402HD has a 7 day epg for 28.2east and downloadable channel lists and will run a HDD drive through the usb slot. regards mdt

If you only want freesat/fta then just buy a freesat+ stb. It will have 7 day epg and recording that is all user friendly.

the TM5402HD has a 7 day epg for 28.2east and downloadable channel lists and will run a HDD drive through the usb slot. regards mdt

I have done recordings and downloaded the epg on the 5402HD but when I did this 12 months ago the EPG and the PVR were really poor and I then decided to take out a F1 half price offer from Sky.

If you only want freesat/fta then just buy a freesat+ stb. It will have 7 day epg and recording that is all user friendly.

Doesn't a Freesat+ box have fixed channels and doesn't include all the FTA channels? Also, they don't have a card slot AFAIA.

Doesn't a Freesat+ box have fixed channels and doesn't include all the FTA channels? Also, they don't have a card slot AFAIA.

Manhattan Plaza HD-S2 Freesat HD

The easiest way to hundreds of channels, free HD and On Demand TV, all subscription free
On Demand TV* including BBC iPlayer & ITV Player means that even if you do miss a programme, you can catch-up with the best of the week's TV, at a time that suits you.

Freesat comes with an 8-day Programme Guide so you can plan your viewing a week ahead. The powerful reminder and timer functionality allows you to easily set the Plaza HD-S2 to turn itself off or on at any time to any channel or programme of your choosing.

If over 150 Freesat channels are not enough the Plaza HD-S2 can automatically add hundreds more non-Freesat† channels.

And for true power viewing, the Plaza HD-S2 makes it easy to create and use up to eight lists of your favourite channels, then use them to filter the Programme Guide, so you only see the ones you want to.

All for under £50

Afaik all freesat boxes can be switched to non-freesat mode accessing all other non freesat fta channels. Some boxes have a cam slot but you wont need any card if seeking fta only. Some freesat stbs like the humax hdr have hidden menus that allow multi sats using usals. I'm sure many freesat tv's also have such features if you can find them. With a freesat stb you will get a comprehensive 7 day epg and recording will be a doddle and you will be more or less 100% assured the f/w is stable.

Thanks for all your suggestions but could we perhaps go back to the my thread title which was
[h=2]Which TM to Replace 5402[/h]

Tbh then i'd just stick with the 5402 then. It can deliver all you ask.

I setup my 5402 last night just to refresh my memory about it and the difference between that and the Sky box was quite considerable. Also, I have tried to contact Technomate and haven't had any reply and that is leaving me concerned about support if I bought a TM PVR. I'm therefore going rethink my choice of a replacement for the 5402. I will go and have a look at what was suggested in this thread and see where that takes me.

Thanks for all your posts chaps. :Clap:

My Sly HD subscription is coming to an end soon and I looking for a replacement box that has good PVR and good EPG. I could go back to my 5402 HD but I found the EPG and PVR a bit basic.

I only want the FTA, Freesat and any extras that I can get with my white viewing card. Internal HDD with flexibility to upgrade if necessary.

Can anyone guide me so that I don't buy a heap of features that I don't actually need.

hello
Hebridean

IMO id go for the nano, its a class we box, it dont have rf output or even a scart but for the doe you could get a rf modulator and scart to comp and thats that bit sort'd and even if you dont put hdd into the box get the hdd caddy kit and put the fan in as they run warm ( if you put the fan in have the silver sticker against the lid that so you cant see it when fitting ) with thoughts extras it will come in at same doe as single but nano has more mem space witch makes the box run faster ie channel change/cams/plugin's and at the mo if you use 4D-openpli-enigma2-3.0-linux-kernel-3... 7-6-2013 you wont have audio sync problems that you will get with the single, single has sync problems with both that date image and 19/7/13.
hope this helps :)

Thanks for the info re the nano - at this point in time I'm looking at a freesat box or a switchable freesat/FTA box that doesn't bomb out when you switch between the two functions. In the longer term I would like to go for a motorised dish but not before I have investigated what FTA channels are out there that would be of interest to me.

Back